Apple TV 4th gen. How it will work?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iNiko, Mar 8, 2014.

1. iNiko macrumors newbie

Okay. So What I think is that they will introduce it around September-October.

Here is BOM of Apple TV 720p -version, introduced in 2010:

[​IMG]

I assume Apple is going for same price point with new Apple TV. Here is BOM of what it will include and manufacturing costs:

~$20 Apple A8 (I took this from iSupply’s report of the iPhone 5S. It was A7, but I predict A8 should be ~$20)
    $11 RAM, 1GB
    $4 memory of 8GB
    $31.44 everything else, taken from 2010 iSupply’s Apple TV report. This should be lower in reality as this is from 2010.
    -
    $66.44 TOTAL BILL-OF-MATERIALS (BOM)

I predict A8 will be first 4-core chip and as far as I know, those chips are far better with games.

It will include enchaced, laggless, AirPlay gaming with good graphics. Gaming works like this: at the start up of game, our iPads and iPhones wirelessly transfer gaming file to Apple TV, using fast WiFi connection (It takes some time, I think around 3mins with biggest files like Real Racing 3).

Our iPads and iPhones works as controllers and also it is possible to buy a real controller.

Gaming file will remain in memory of Apple TV for future usage.

Price of this new Apple TV: $99.

What you think will be introduced this year?

2. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

How many topics of ATV speculation do we need? Just post in one of the dozens already open. :rolleyes:

3. mcarling macrumors 65816

There is absolutely no way that the next Apple TV will include an A8 chip. Apple will replace the current A5 chip with either an A6 or perhaps an A7. There is also no way that the next Apple TV will include only 8GB of flash. Apple will upgrade from the 8GB of the 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TVs to either 16GB or perhaps 32GB to support games and 4K movies.

4. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

My only concern is I don't want apple to jack up the price on the Apple TV. It's a great product because it's only $99. If they do add an App Store I hope it can work on the current gen Apple TV. I don't really care about games on it.

5. mcarling macrumors 65816

After two years, there is certainly room for Apple to upgrade to an A6 processor, 1GB of DRAM, 16GB of flash, and 802.11ac while keeping the $99 price point. They might also be able to include one or more of A7 processor, 32GB of flash, and Gigabit Ethernet while keeping the $99 price point.

An App Store should work on the 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TV, but not the 1st generation.

I also don't care about games. The last computer game I played was Colossal Cave Adventure in the 1970s.

6. iNiko thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, 4K movies are available on A8, I believe. At least this year comes these Qualcomm chips which handle 4K.

7. Jacquesass macrumors regular

My guess is that the ATV4 goes A8. I don't think that it's been waiting on the A8 - I think it's been waiting on HDMI 2.0. That said, the A8 should bring h.265 native decoding, which is a "must have" for 4k movies.

I think the Appstore will only be available on the ATV4, because the jump in processing power will be too big between ATV3 and ATV4 - and then developers will have the A8 as a "base-level" of processor going forward. I think that apps will default to 1080p (for now) with the option to let the ATV4 pixel-double or your HDTV pixel-double.

ATV3 may stick around, but I see Apple pushing 4k production (on the nMP) and 4k consumption (on the ATV4) this year; the app store pushes an upgrade cycle for people on ATV3 (or ATV2) and works great on 1080p TV's (or even 720p TV's).

Upgrade to 802.11ac and gigabit ethernet make sense with a push to 4k; more RAM (and more flash) seem necessary as well. Because of these, the initial price would likely jump (leaving room for a discounted ATV3 to still be sold).

The new versions of iPhone/iPod touch/iPad would also gain h.265 native decoding, decreasing the bandwidth needed to stream movies at their native resolutions (which is a nice side benefit if they are re-encoded on the server side for each needed resolution).

8. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

I agree I don't see the App store being backwards compatible with other aTV's there are a surprising number of aTV's 1 and 2 still in the wild being used Apple will want all those customers to upgrade. They will also take their time my belief is the delay has been making sure the aTV4 is like the 3 and immune the Jailbreaking.