Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrezM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Just purchased the new AppleTV to replace the 3rd Gen and when I plug in the HDMI cable from my Sony receiver the new AppleTV shuts down. I've tried different cables and different HDMI ports on the receiver but all result in the same problem. If I connect directly to the Sony TV's HDMI port the AppleTV works perfect. Can anyone help?

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Can you use the remote to turn it back on? Is it going to sleep, or completely turning off?

DrezM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
No. It's turning off. No video signal and indicator light goes off. I can unplug the HDMI and power cord and than plug the power back in and the light will flash and become steady after about 10 secs. As soon as I plug in the HDMI it shuts off again.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
That's really strange - have you had other things plugged into the ports on the receiver before?

What if you plug the power back in with the HDMI already plugged in?

DrezM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Yes. Have used it for awhile with the AppleTV Gen 3. If I plug power in with HDMI connected I get no power... Any Idea how to solve a handshake problem?

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Sometimes, depending on the equipment (ie. how old the receiver is) the HDMI connections are sensitive to which order things are powered on. I would try different combinations of powering on the units. For example, try plugging the cable into both the ATV and receiver while they are off. Then power on the ATV first, wait for the solid light and then power on the receiver. Then try the opposite. You may find a sequence that works.

How old is the Sony receiver?

DrezM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Ok. I'll give that a try. The Sony receiver is about 4 yrs old.

timmahh

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
Los Angeles, California
Does your receiver support HDCP? If the ATV is detecting that the unit on the other end does not support content protection, it may just shut off. I Know on my ATV2 and with my HK AVR I had on occasion had to unplug/reinsert the HDMI cable because it gave an HDCP warning.

DrezM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
I don't get a HDCP warning... I am seeing threads about the Sony receivers having handoff issues however. Might be time to upgrade!

dawindmg08

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Are you using HDMI-CE on your Sony receiver? Not sure if that's part of the "handshake" process you're referring to (and on the Sony it may be called something different); it's the protocol that allows devices hooked up via HDMI to control each other. I had it turned ON in my Pioneer receiver (Kuros Link) and it was causing some weirdness with the ATV4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.