Apple TV 4th gen randomly drops internet connection

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by danthepatriot, May 17, 2016.

1. danthepatriot macrumors newbie

May 17, 2016
    i have a 4th generation apple tv and it randomly drops internet connection. I have to restart my router on average once a week to fix it. It's really frustrating. When the internet does drop, macbook and iPhone work fine. Only the apple tv is messed up. Its a wireless connection via belkin router thru time warner cable(satans internet). Anybody know of any solution or anyone that has this problem? It happen on average once a week, past couple of days its been twice a night.
  2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2012
    Must be setting in your router having to do with multimedia streaming, or maybe your ATV4 is defective.
  3. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Jan 13, 2013

I did with a TP-Link router. Does just your ATV4 lose connection or all devices? Mine was all devices. Got AT&T to give me a better router/modem and I've no issues since.

If it just the ATV it could be the location. If everything shuts down then it is more than likely a bad router.
  4. dBeats macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2011
    I've been having this problem. The Apple TV is 1 foot from my Airport Extreme and about once a week, I have to restart the Apple TV because it won't connect anymore. It's driving the family nuts.
  5. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Jun 19, 2013
    I also get a pop up message that my Apple TV doesn't detect my network. But it doesn't affect the video I am streaming. This only happened since the latest tvOS update. Maybe a bug?
  6. danthepatriot thread starter macrumors newbie

May 17, 2016
    Just bought a new dual band router and some how it got worse. I going to have to try wired connection as a last resort. But calling TWC and getting them out here just to move my modem 15 feet seems ridiculous to do just to stream video.
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2016 ---
    I'm glad you responded. I was think about getting an extreme to see if that helps. You know, thinking well Apple router should work best with Apple TV. Guess not.
  7. Cat Dancer macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2015
    I use my current generation Airport Extreme strictly for streaming my stand alone SlingBox and a Dish Network 922 with Sling mostly for my iPads and occasionally on the MacBookPro. Since the day I bought that router, 3 years now(?), it requires either a Reset of the Router or I have to Renew the DHCP Lease to reacquire a functional working signal.

Last year, I put this router behind a new RT-AC87U router. This router has never required a ReStart or ReSet, yet the AE is still choking every week or less.

I use my devices outside nearly all year long and have conducted multiple from all locations and with many devices. My Apple Extreme still lags behind the ASUS across the board. I too would like to believe that Apple Hardware would do better or equal to like/kind products, but that has not been my experience.

I doen't have an answer, just relating my experience and frustration too.
  8. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2009
    Mine does this, too. Sounds more like an ATV problem than a router problem. A restart on the ATV fixes it for me, but it's still annoying. None of the updates have fixed it.
  9. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Apr 21, 2015
    Planet Earth
    May I ask which type of WPA2 encryption you all use? Set your router to WPA2-AES only or -CCMP only. This fixed my connection issues.
  10. danthepatriot thread starter macrumors newbie

May 17, 2016
    yes. I've do e WPA2 AES. No real difference
  11. aarond12 macrumors 65816

May 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX USA
    Please tell me you're not using WiFi rather than an Ethernet cable if it's that close...