Apple TV (4th Gen): Unboxing & In-Depth Overview!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Che Castro, Sep 21, 2015.

1. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Can you still home share photos and Podcasts through Home Sharing, that was not mentioned

2. Wunderwally, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

Wunderwally macrumors member

Wunderwally

Have a look at ~8:35. When selecting screensavers you get the following options: Aerial (the new videoscreensavers from apple), Apple Photos, My Photos and Home Sharing Photos. So i'm pretty sure it's integrated in the photos app or the "Computers" app. As for podcasts i'm not sure, but why would it be possible to "homeshare" movies, tv shows, music and photos and NOT podcasts - wouldn't make sense to me.

3. JoeShades, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Yeah nice catch, just saw that. I hope you can still set Photos in a random order and those effects like the Ken burns one is still there. Yeah podcasts are a given i guess since you can only subscribe to some through ITUNES via RSS unless that has changed with this Apple Tv. I also wish there was an option for a dark background, the white seems too bright

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The UI looks pretty smooth. I'm also glad there is more in the settings menu.

5. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Man that looks nice, day 1 purchase from me.

6. seanrt macrumors newbie

seanrt

How are TV seasons grouped now under shared iTunes library?

7. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

8. Doz007 macrumors newbie

Looks excellent and silky smooth. Siri inparticular looked blazing fast!

I would still like to see the 'Purchased' section in iTunes Movies to see if they've changed it up at all.

9. egeek84 macrumors 6502

egeek84

This looks very sexy and fluid, day one for me, cannot wait!

10. LouisLoh macrumors regular

YES IT HAS BLUETOOTH AUDIO!! TAKE MY MONEY APPLE.

11. SteveLV702 macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

weird yours has Music mine only shows the Movies, TV Shows, Photos, Settings, Computers, Search

12. SteveLV702 macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

never mind now it shows "music" must have not showed up while was downloading my library... only thing is can't find my playlists :-(

13. Rigby macrumors 601

Hm, finally a new feature that could convince me to get one. :) I just wish they added it to the old Apple TV as well (should be possible via firmware update).

14. 2010mini macrumors 68040

15. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I'm surprised there hasn't been more follow-up on this! Someone has a working ATV 4th gen and more people aren't asking questions about it and there don't seem to be any answers coming. The main questions seem to be about people's own media - does Siri search through them (especially if people have added meta-data to their rips) and are TV shows organised in a better way? Both of which I'm interested in knowing the answers to. If Siri can only search through the various 'shops' then it's not much good to me.

16. SirYossi macrumors regular

Siri search is not possible with own iTunes library via home share. Only way that will work is that Siri must first be intergrated into the Mac OS since it is not they will not communicate that way. Once Siri is intergrated into Mac OS it will be able to index your iTunes library and thus share it across Siri enabled devices. Since your iTunes library on your Mac is not Siri indexed it will not work on the Apple TV. Once Siri comes to the OS then this will be possible.

17. macfixx macrumors newbie

Bluetooth 4.2 now or later I think too, but haven't seen for sure