Apple tv (4th gen) vs Apple tv 4k?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JSENNY25, Apr 17, 2018.

1. JSENNY25 macrumors member

Hi folks.

I'm in the market for a new apple tv and as the title says I am looking for clarification between Apple tv (4th gen) vs Apple tv 4k?

So, this is where things get goofy.

I have a 4th gen apple tv with the Siri Remote that does not have the white ring around the menu button.

Target had an open box Apple tv 4th gen Siri Remote that DOES have the white ring around the menu button. But I'm pretty sure it is not a 4k. I think it just has the faster processor.

Anyway it is $105. Target also has the older 4th gen for $99. (the one it have)

Is the open box (the thing was never taken out of apple's cellophane wrapper) worth it over the 4k? we do not have a 4k tv.

I am essentially buying it so I can use AirPods to listen while the little one is getting his bottle.

Thanks!

2. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I think Apple just updated the remote on the normal Apple TV 4. It still has the a8 processor. The 4K has an a10 processor which is better.

Since you are in the us, I would go with the directv now deal, for $105.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/09/directv-now-sweetens-apple-tv-4k/

3. JSENNY25 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Thats a good idea.

So, for the last 10 months we have Direct tv now and ATT unlimited. That promo was not around when we first signed up.
    What we did do is pay $35 for 3 months and then now we are only charged $10 because of ATT unlimited.

Can you explain how I could take advantage of the promotion now? Would we need to create a new account and prepay the $35 for 3 months?

Thanks for the help

4. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

Technically, the deal is only for new subscribers.

You might be able to sign up with a different email address and handle billing separate. Once the 3 month commitment is up, drop the second subscription.

5. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

FYI, you can cancel your subscription after receiving the Apple TV 4K, and it will still allow you to use your prepaid subscription through the end of the 3 month period. I canceled my subscription yesterday after taking advantage of this deal.