Apple TV 4th gen, when?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by firewood, Jul 21, 2015.

1. firewood macrumors 604

So, given it wasn't announced at WWDC or with the update iPods, what's the latest guess or rumor for when the 4th gen Apple TV will become available?

My guess is that Apple would like to phase out manufacturing of the close to obsolete 32nm A5 processor chip (they certainly don't make iPhone 4S devices any more). But when?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I say during Sept-October. Ramp up for the holiday season.

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I have it on very good authority (it came to me in a daydream while I was pooping) that the launch date will be September 22, 2015.

4. anubis macrumors 6502a

Never. They will never release a new Apple TV. They will still be selling the Apple TV 3 50 years from now.

5. CairnsRock macrumors member

CairnsRock

A more accurate question would be when are they announcing their new subscription Apple TV offering?

Apple won't make much on new hardware, but they will make a ton on monthly subscriptions on a new Apple TV streaming service.

Sounds like early 4th quarter.

6. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Agreed. My guess is sometime this fall. When Apple Music came out, Apple stated in their press release that the Apple TV will see support of the new streaming service "this fall." Since all other currently-sold Apple devices (except for certain iPods) have already received Apple Music support, it's a logical guess that they're waiting to release it alongside a full OS overhaul this year, instead of bothering to update the current version.

Press release: https://www.apple.com/pr/library/20...he-Ways-You-Love-Music-All-in-One-Place-.html

Personally, I'm just as excited about a new streaming service as I am about new Apple TV hardware...as someone currently using a 5 year old Apple TV 2, I'm very ready to upgrade!