Apple TV 4th gen works better wireless.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tonyr6, Apr 14, 2016.

1. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

Really can't explain it except that my 3rd gen had the same issues. With it wired I would have degraded streaming issues but wireless on 5ghz it performs better.

I think the issue is that like the 3rd gen if I looked at my switch at random times within a few minutes or less I will see the LED light go off and on again like it was reconnecting. I though it was the switch but it does this with every switch I tried and even plugged right in to the router. Also waking up the 4th gen Apple TV it would say network connection lost and then after a few seconds reconnect but on wireless it is connected right away when I wake up.

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Did you try a different cable? Also is the cable run under 100M (maximum for the spec)?

I've had absolutely no issues using a wired connection. On top of that, it's a bit more reliable so I plug in when I can.

4. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I plug in and I have had zero issues. I get great performance and reliability.

Maybe its the placebo effect or something, haha.

:apple:

5. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

LOL, 100Mbps is more than enough to stream 4K movies from Netflix, since ATV4 doesn't even support 4K a 10Mbps connection is more than enough to handle 1080P:
    • 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
    • 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
    • 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
    • 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
    • 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

6. Poontaco macrumors regular

You're absolutely right. If all the Apple TV did was stream content from Netflix, then 100 Mbps would be more than enough. But, when downloading apps, supplemental game add-ons and 500 MB screensavers, something much faster (like 250 Mbps) sure is nice.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

What is better is always such a case by case basis. Let's look at the two extremes:

For someone that lives on a 5-acre plot of land with lots of trees between their house and the neighbor's house, 802.11AC wifi would definitely be better than 10/100 ethernet in pretty much every instance. Being the only wifi signal in the area means you can use the best channel, 80mhz width, and not worry about any interference from anyone.

For someone that lives in a large apartment building full of small apartments, where there can be several dozen nearby routers, all of which are dual-band and high-power, 10/100 ethernet would definitely be better than any wifi in pretty much every instance. In cities, wifi seems to be an arms race to the top, as soon as your neighbor gets a fancy new router with good range, your signal suffers and you have to get an even more powerful router with even larger antennas, etc.

For everyone else, it's somewhere in between.

8. yamaduc macrumors member

yamaduc

I have an issue with my Apple TV 4th Gen waking from sleep, using ethernet, it doesn't have internet. I have to restart the Apple TV every time in order to get the internet back. WIFI works fine.

9. tonyr6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

I had the same issue except I had degrading video quality issues wired. It seems that the wired connection constantly disconnects and reconnects again. It is not my router or switch. I used Asus Merlin firmware, Netgear stock, DD-WRT and Tomato (currently using) and TP-Link, Monoprice switches, Cat5-E and Cat 6 cables both short and longer length no difference.

10. Wando64 macrumors 6502

I am not seeing this problem in my set-up.
    I don't think it is an issue with the ATV in itself, but rather some sort of issue with certain types of network set-up?

11. yamaduc macrumors member

yamaduc

Could be.

I'm using ZyXEL HD Powerline Adapter HD 2000 for all my AppleTV's but it's only the 4th generation having this issue.

I have a 2nd and 3rd gen using these ZyXEL Adapters along with my iMac and DirecTV receivers and there's no issues with these devices.

Something strange going on with the 4th gen.