Apple TV Airplay Glitch

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ijackdaniel, Apr 6, 2013.

1. ijackdaniel macrumors newbie

Hi there I just got my Apple TV and I have upgraded my Macbook to the new Lion so that I can Airplay and mirror it onto my TV. My father also has an Apple TV and airplay worked fine on his TV from my Macbook and iPhone 5.

However when I try to airplay on my TV using my new Apple TV it does not not mirror properly. Everything is lagging and glitchy and then it turns off after a while. I exchanged my Apple TV and the same problem occurs so I'm guessing it has something to do with my internet connection which is high speed or my software settings.

If anyone knows why I'm having these problems I'd be greatful for your help.

Thanks

Jack

2. mic j macrumors 68030

Probably could use some router information: Dual band (y/n), n or g, make, distance between aTV/macbook/router...that sort of stuff.

3. ijackdaniel thread starter macrumors newbie

Not to sure about the technical terms you mentioned but here is the router I have from Bell: router sagemcom f@st 2864

And the distance is about 2 meters from the apple tv when I try to mirror with my macbook. But even if I bring it up close it doesn't make a difference. But the Macbook and apple tv are both in another room about 6-8 meters away.

4. mic j macrumors 68030

From what I could find, I think your router is wireless n (that is good). If that is in fact the case, your router and distances should be ok. As I am not familiar with your router, I cannot be of much help in checking your settings. Lots of things can interfere with the quality of a wireless network. Something people often do is: 1)switch between frequencies (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and 2) change channels that the router uses. Sometimes, you can get interference from surrounding wifi's and electric appliances on a particular channel.

Sorry, but that's about as far as I can take you.

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Are you saying the distance between the router and the appletv is 2 meters or the distance from your macbook to the appletv is 2 meters?

Basically, having your macbook closer to the appletv is not going to make a difference.
    Having your macbook closer to the router would.

Just because your macbook has to send the signal to the router 1st which then gets routed to the AppleTV.

The closer everything is together (in theory) the faster the signal will be sent (due to a faster wifi connection between all devices).

So example if you had your TV, router, AppleTV and Macbook all in the same room everything "should" work perfectly and with almost no lag.

If the AppleTV and Macbook are in one room and the router is 1-2 rooms away with walls in between then your signal to all devices is less than when everything is line-of-sight.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

100% WIFI problem.

2 meters from Notebook to ATV doesn't mean anything because the WIFI signals goes: Notebook -> WIFI Router -> ATV.

First thing u should do is to run a CAT5 between WIFI router and ATV, then if that's not enough you have to tweak your WIFI. Yup, technical stuff am afraid.

7. todvide macrumors newbie

agree.if that's not enough you have to tweak your WIFI. Yup, technical stuff am afraid.thanks [​IMG]

8. ijackdaniel thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I'm going to try fixing my internet connection to the Apple TV. Thanks guys. I appreciate the help of your expertise.

9. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

I had issues with Airplay - and the trouble was on MY end, not Apple's.

The only good area to put my aTV was above my Blu-Ray player and below my Dish receiver. The router is one story below through wood floors with aluminum heat sinks attached to them with pex tubing for radiant floor heat. Airplay would just stop after 20 minutes or so (aTV set to never sleep). Just a very difficult path for wireless to navigate through all of that metal.

I wired the aTV to the router with Cat-5 and have had nary a problem since.

10. gmhag macrumors regular

I am having a similar problem. I just moved into a new place and just got 50mbps service hooked up. My router and ATV are right next to each other and my macbook pro is in the same room not more than 10 feet away.

I was streaming a race in 720p and mirror airplaying it to my ATV. About halfway through the race it started getting really choppy to the point where it was unwatchable. I thought it was the just my internet speed wasnt good enough to stream in 720p or that the website was getting too much traffic but when I looked on my MBP the screen was crystal clear and not chopping and skipping at all. I turned off airplay and watched the rest of the race on my laptop in HD.

Would running an eithernet cable from my router and ATV help? They're right next to each other so it would be no problem but I dont have a wire so i'll have to go out and buy one.

11. mic j macrumors 68030

Hardwire is always less problematic than wifi, but I am really surprised you are having a problem as your distances between everything is small. I have my MBP on a different floor than my router and my router in a different room than my aTV and using wifi for everything with no streaming issues. Your download speed rating is way more than enough (I have 11Mbps). What brand router are you using and is it dualband (2.5/5GHz) and using n protocol? Have you double checked your download speeds, using something like Speakeasy? Could you be experiencing wifi interference (get iStumbler and check your S/N for that)?

12. gmhag macrumors regular

Thanks for your help. Yes, I checked my speeds on speedtest and was getting 52mbps. I'm not sure what type of router it is. I just got comcast xfinity and it is their standard modem/router. I'll check when i get home.

13. gmhag macrumors regular

So I hardwired my router to my ATV. The picture on the TV is still stuttering compaired to the picure on my macbook. Sometimes a few seconds will go by before the picure moves. I think my next solution is going to be to bypass the ATV and airplay all together and get a Thunderbolt to HDMI and call it a day. I wish I could airplay but it just isnt working.

14. chele519 macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem. My atv is hardwired to my ethernet connection and I picked up a new router on Saturday. Apple told me not to go thru the receiver but direct to the tv doesn't fix the problem. It's strange, on Sunday I watched 3 tv shows with no problem but tonight less than 5 minutes in the screen froze up. Video keeps playing on the phone so I know it's not that. Even music stored on my phone freezes the atv. Tried 2 different units and 2 different HDMI cables and different ports on the receiver and tv. So, unfortunately it's going back tomorrow. I had to buy a new laptop this weekend so I'll go back to watching tv on that thru the hdmi to the tv. I'm disappointed, I liked being able to control music from another room.