Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
hi, i'm very frustrated with this problem.

I've been having this error a few times in the past couple months. it confuses me. the problem occurs on specific films. the first time, i simply checked if the file played back okay on the mac- it did. perfectly fine. remaining confused, i simply tried deleting it from the itunes library and adding it back. still not working with apple tv. i then tried copying it to my macbook HDD (my movies are on a NAS) and added the one on my hard drive to the itunes library.. then it worked.

confused still i deleted the copy on the nas and copied this 'working one' from the macbook HDD and put it on the nas. and it seemed to be fix. strange. a month later it happened again, to the same movie.

i thought the file must be slightly corrupted - until today! today it happened to another movie, and then strangly, without trying to fix it, it worked again later and still seems to work. and then just now this evening, another different film is giving me this error. this time, attempting my 'fix' hasn't made it work. neither has restarting the apple tv or macbook.

i have a library of 200 movies ripped to itunes. before recently, they have always worked (apple tv is almost a year old, my macbook just over a year)

is anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it??

eecyclone

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
This happens to me occasionally when watching a lot of TV shows that I encoded with handbrake back to back. I believe the error is caused by a lack of memory on the ATV. I am using a 2nd gen jailbroken ATV so I go to the "maintenance" icon, then navigate to the second tab and select "Relaunch Apple TV". Obviously if you aren't using a Jailbroken ATV you won't have the maintenance icon on the home screen. I think the only other way around this error (besides waiting awhile for the memoy to clear) is to unplug and replug the power cord to the ATV to get it to reset. Doing this process will clear the memory and allow the file to play. When you use the remote to "restart" the ATV, I think it just puts it to sleep and wakes it up again.

I don't know how to prevent this problem from occurring. It seems like I have to relaunch my ATV using this method about once a month. Annoying, but now that I figured out what I need to do to solve it, it isn't that bad.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
This happens to me occasionally when watching a lot of TV shows that I encoded with handbrake back to back. I believe the error is caused by a lack of memory on the ATV. I am using a 2nd gen jailbroken ATV so I go to the "maintenance" icon, then navigate to the second tab and select "Relaunch Apple TV". Obviously if you aren't using a Jailbroken ATV you won't have the maintenance icon on the home screen. I think the only other way around this error (besides waiting awhile for the memoy to clear) is to unplug and replug the power cord to the ATV to get it to reset. Doing this process will clear the memory and allow the file to play. When you use the remote to "restart" the ATV, I think it just puts it to sleep and wakes it up again.

I don't know how to prevent this problem from occurring. It seems like I have to relaunch my ATV using this method about once a month. Annoying, but now that I figured out what I need to do to solve it, it isn't that bad.

unfortunately the solution didn't get Empire Strikes Back to play :(

i will try it again

eecyclone

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
unfortunately the solution didn't get Empire Strikes Back to play :(

i will try it again

Could it be the settings you used when you ripped the movie? I use handbrake's ATV3 preset and it works fine, even on my ATV2.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Could it be the settings you used when you ripped the movie? I use handbrake's ATV3 preset and it works fine, even on my ATV2.

i use a modified ATV3 present, consistently. the only thing that changes is the audio and the video quality setting.

empire worked fine up until recently, thats what confuses me. these aren't files that never worked, they have just started 'acting up'.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
hi, i'm very frustrated with this problem.

I've been having this error a few times in the past couple months. it confuses me. the problem occurs on specific films. the first time, i simply checked if the file played back okay on the mac- it did. perfectly fine. remaining confused, i simply tried deleting it from the itunes library and adding it back. still not working with apple tv. i then tried copying it to my macbook HDD (my movies are on a NAS) and added the one on my hard drive to the itunes library.. then it worked.

confused still i deleted the copy on the nas and copied this 'working one' from the macbook HDD and put it on the nas. and it seemed to be fix. strange. a month later it happened again, to the same movie.

i thought the file must be slightly corrupted - until today! today it happened to another movie, and then strangly, without trying to fix it, it worked again later and still seems to work. and then just now this evening, another different film is giving me this error. this time, attempting my 'fix' hasn't made it work. neither has restarting the apple tv or macbook.

i have a library of 200 movies ripped to itunes. before recently, they have always worked (apple tv is almost a year old, my macbook just over a year)

is anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it??

This is going to sound a little stupid, but check your network cable. If you are connected with a hardwire Cat 6, check how much play the connection has on the back of the box. When I first got my AppleTV3, I had that same issue. Sometimes my library would show up and sometimes I would get that same error. I wiggled the cat6 cable a little and my box lost all network connectivity. I then wiggled it the other way and bam, I got the library back. I found that if you get a cat6 cable with the reinforced metal sides, it prevents the box from loosing connection. Now, if you are connected over WIFI, check your wireless connection. Make sure you have a solid wireless connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.