Apple TV Analog Audio

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pismobrat, Sep 4, 2007.

1. pismobrat macrumors regular

Hello All,

I have been an avid user of the M-Audio Audiophile sound cards for many years. Bottom line: great quality & response and will always kill any Sound Blaster sound card for analog audio quality.

Now to the meat of things.

I've ripped a large amount of my collection to the Apple TV using AAC/320Kbps rate. The quality is fantastic and so far is indistuingishable between a Audiophile Card and the Apple TV. (or even the original source on a high-end Arcam Diva cd player.)

Now that I am looking for a higher end amp than my current McIntosh MA-6100 Tube amp from '78. Does anyone have any concerns that the Apple TV for analog output sound any worse or different than the digital out put on a new resonably high end amp.

The audio industry has always had a hard time building an amp/reciever that sounds great for movies and two channel audio.

Any thoughts or comments?

Cheers
    Pismobrat

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I tried to use the analog, but the optical was better to everyone I tested, so I had to use it.

3. bgd macrumors regular

Take the ATV along when you audition. Valve to solid state might change the sound but that won't be down to the ATV.

I have tracks ripped at 320 and Lossless and couldn't tell any difference so I think you'll be fine. Your speakers will have more of an impact on the sound than the amp or atv.