Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxshanly

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Has anyone managed to create an application to allow the use of the Elgato EyeTV with an Apple TV?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Nothing yet, and probably isn't possible. Would be nice to be able to turn the Apple TV into a DVR with the likes of a USB TV Tuner.

I'm really looking to invest into a LAN TV Tuner, so I can be sat with my laptop and record something without having to plug in stuff, then convert it to .mp4 and sync to Apple TV.

I'm sure there is ways to get Automator to do the above.

lost_mobius

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2004
EyeTV

You can automate EyeTV to dump the file out to ATV or the shared folder on your computer. EyeTV rules i have been using it since eyetv 1.8. The new version is by far the best yet. check out there site for more info.

sfwidescreen

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
I agree with Lost_Mobius. I have an Elgato HDHomeRun, running EyeTV 3.x on my Leopard Mini. The shows record automatically then EyeTV converts them to an iTunes compatible format (I use the 'iPod High' preset for news shows and things where the PQ isn't as important and the 'AppleTV' preset for the stuff that's more quality sensitive) and puts them into iTunes. From there :apple:TV picks them up automatically.

There are only three downsides to a relatively set and forget system:
1) On TiVo I can start watching shows the moment they start, on with this setup I get access about an hour after the show ends (time for the conversion)
2) EyeTV will keep its disk drive clean (I set it to keep two copies in case there's an error) by erasing older shows, but iTunes needs to be manually cleaned up every now and then.
3) EyeTV (3.0.1 I think, not near that computer right now) hangs every so often on :apple:TV preset conversions of HD programs. I record about 4 shows a week this way and it seems to hang about every three weeks or so. When it hangs it not only affects that show but it stops recording future shows until I clear the dialog box. It never hangs using the iPod High preset which still gives me widescreen and looks decent for news shows and the like on my two sub 30" TVs.

All in all, it is a good replacement for my TiVo at a monthly cost of $0 and with a user interface that passes the wife test.

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
Now if only...........

The :apple:TV preset would export 5.1 audio instead of 2 channel AAC I would explode with EyeTv happiness. :cool:

Maury

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
does your tv not have a tuner?

Mine does, but I'd pay good money to have it's +2 second channel changing time reduced. My EyeTV on the Mac switches channels instantly.

Maury

p.s. Don't buy a Sharp TV unless you like finding out that half the advertised functions don't work, don't want to control volume, and enjoy being able to walk to the TV and back in the time it takes to move from Channel 22 to 23.

LazarusLong

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Southern Maine
Beware of the new Elgato "Clear QAM" Tuners

Depending on your cable system, they may or may not be useful for you. While they do allow access to some Clear QAM channels, you may not get all of them. It turns out that many channels are transmitted over the cable system in an encrypted format that requires either a set-top box or CableCard to view. Others are transmitted using the Switched Digital Video (SDV) protocol, which is a bidirectional data transmission scheme that Elgato doesn't support - and neither do the current generations of CableCards. The industry is working on an SDV adapter for CableCards (which will let Tivo HD receive those channels), but it's not clear if Elgato tuners will be able to take advantage of them.

The net result for me (Time Warner Cable in Maine) is that my Clear QAM EyeTV Hybrid senses 61 Clear QAM channels but I can only view 14 of them. And all of those are OTA channels that I could get with a $40 antenna and my original EyeTV Hybrid.

The recordings that I get from HD programs on those channels are outstanding though. I'm convinced that they're better than what I'm getting from my Tivo HD.

There is one additional problem - Clear QAM channels (Digital cable channels) are not transmitted on a specific frequency that matches up to a TV tuner channel. So the EyeTV software can't match up many -most?- stations to a specific channel on the TitanTV program guide. What you see on the EyeTV channel list is:

Name Service Frequency EPG Type
1001 74.1 Digital Cable Clear QAM 555 MhZ Unknow TV

The user has to go through each channel, decide what station each of those channels actually is and then rename them in the channel listing. So I guess the fact that I only had 14 channels made that easier than if I were getting all 61.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Another option if you want more control over the quality of your converted eyetv recordings is HandBrake. HandBrake can take eyetv files and convert them to ATV format the same as a dvd, including passing through the ac3 audio. Not quite as seamless as just exporting to atv with the eyetv software, but might suit you depending on your requirements.

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
Are you sure about that?

What settings do you use. I have been using Handbrake for years and it seems to only work with DVD's or VideoTS folders.....

Another option if you want more control over the quality of your converted eyetv recordings is HandBrake. HandBrake can take eyetv files and convert them to ATV format the same as a dvd, including passing through the ac3 audio. Not quite as seamless as just exporting to atv with the eyetv software, but might suit you depending on your requirements.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Yep, it works as of 0.9.2. On some streams depending on the broadcast source you may have to do an Export to Program Stream out of the eyetv software first, then feed that to HB. But most of mine work fine reading right from the .eyetv package. In our svn the program stream reading code is more robust than 0.9.2, but I tested 0.9.2 quite a bit and it should work fine.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I use Handbrake to open the MPEG Stream files from EyeTV. Here's the deal though:

Most of the shows I record (such as The Office, Big Bang Theory, and movies) were originally shot with 23.98fps but, the broadcast comes into EyeTV at 29.98fps interlaced... This creates nasty looking de-interlacing to make up for the lost frames. So here's what I do. I export the MPEG Stream from EyeTV's Export option and open it in Handbrake. Then I set the framerate to 23.98fps. Then, I use the handy "Detelecine" option and VFR option and deinterlace options turned on. This will inverse telecine the video creating a smooth playback with very little ghosting effects. It's very handy... try it out... you'll like it!

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
Can you either attach a screen capture of your settings or write them out for us?

Much thanks! :)

I use Handbrake to open the MPEG Stream files from EyeTV. Here's the deal though:

Most of the shows I record (such as The Office, Big Bang Theory, and movies) were originally shot with 23.98fps but, the broadcast comes into EyeTV at 29.98fps interlaced... This creates nasty looking de-interlacing to make up for the lost frames. So here's what I do. I export the MPEG Stream from EyeTV's Export option and open it in Handbrake. Then I set the framerate to 23.98fps. Then, I use the handy "Detelecine" option and VFR option and deinterlace options turned on. This will inverse telecine the video creating a smooth playback with very little ghosting effects. It's very handy... try it out... you'll like it!

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Can you either attach a screen capture of your settings or write them out for us?

Much thanks! :)

MP4 File
AVC/H.264 Video / AAC Audio
Framerate (VFR On) 23.976 (NTSC Film)
x264 Encoder
Average Bitrate 2500kbps
2-pass Encoding
1280x720 Resolution
Denoise off
Detelecine On
VFR On
Deinterlace Slow
Crop Auto

That's it... High Def recordings plus Apple TV.

VFR is the key ingredient here for smooth video playback. I always hated the ghosting which makes me feel kind of nauseous and dizzy. Have fun!

Some shows that were shot in 23.976 are:
The Office
The Big Bang Theory
Most Movies

Edit: I'm rather pissed at myself right now because I accidentally recorded the analog SD version of The Office tonight when I meant to schedule the HD version... Ugh... I hate it!!!

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
With vfr on HB will ignore whatever you set the framerate to and use the sources framerate. Just an fyi.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
With vfr on HB will ignore whatever you set the framerate to and use the sources framerate. Just an fyi.

Not true. When I use VFR and Detelecine together, it converts my video from 29.98fps to 23.98fps while retaining smooth playback. Try it out for yourself.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I think dynaflash might be right seeing as he's one of the HB developers. ;)

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Not true. When I use VFR and Detelecine together, it converts my video from 29.98fps to 23.98fps while retaining smooth playback. Try it out for yourself.

vfr always uses detelecine and yes, it does ignore whatever framerate you set in the macgui. Thats its whole purpose. In fact combined with some fantastic new work being done with a new filter called decomb, vfr may actually become the default to where there will be no need for an framerate dropdown whatsoever.

Yes, your final movie is coming out at a lower fps. Thats because its announcing itself as 29.97 ntsc for broadcast, but the actual source was likely shot at 23.976 (or with some cgi etc you could actually have a mixed framerate). Anyhow, vfr attempts to restore the framerate back to what it was.

Having said that, the important thing is that its working good for you.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/VariableFrameRate

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
vfr always uses detelecine and yes, it does ignore whatever framerate you set in the macgui. Thats its whole purpose. In fact combined with some fantastic new work being done with a new filter called decomb, vfr may actually become the default to where there will be no need for an framerate dropdown whatsoever.

Yes, your final movie is coming out at a lower fps. Thats because its announcing itself as 29.97 ntsc for broadcast, but the actual source was likely shot at 23.976 (or with some cgi etc you could actually have a mixed framerate). Anyhow, vfr attempts to restore the framerate back to what it was.

Having said that, the important thing is that its working good for you.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/VariableFrameRate

Ah, okay. I guess I thought it was using my setting since it came out the way I wanted it to. How does handbrake know the original framerate?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
How does handbrake know the original framerate?
Well, here is a touch of light reading on the subject http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2487. For the most part afaik HB is the *only* encoding program that can do vfr "on the fly". Realize its still in development and is getting better and better all of the time. Its not my baby and if you really want to get into the nitty gritty of it you can talk to jbrjake over on the HB forums. But suffice it to say he knows what he is talking about.

Apologies to the OP for derailing this thread (though vfr is very pertinent to the AppleTV and Elgato EyeTV).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.