Apple TV and Home theaters

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nanah50, Oct 16, 2011.

1. nanah50 macrumors newbie

I have a PDP 4340HD Pioneer Plasma TV, a Bose 28 system, a cable box, a WII and I would like to hook up Apple TV. Is there any way to get sound without getting an optical cable? Also would like to keep using composite monster cables we already have since they cost so much. We can get picture but no sound. I'm new to this and the TV was set up about 10 years ago, if somebody could walk me through step by step from scratch that would be fantastic. We have tried using all the manuals, but nothing is working together. Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Nanah50

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. nanah50 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple TV and Home theaters

I know the Apple only has HDMI, my Pioneer has 2 HDMI inputs.

Nanah50

4. RayK macrumors 6502

No, your only options are HDMI audio (which I guess you don't want?) and optical audio.

5. ActAsIf macrumors newbie

I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to products. I purchased an HDMI to component adapter because I ran out of HDMI inputs. Just google hdmi to component adapter and pick the adapter that you like. Word of advice, before plugging anything in make sure that anything that will be used is fully powered off or you could fry the electronics.

6. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Posting links to products is fine. Only links containing illegal stuff are against the rules.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Is there some reason you can't just plug the HDMI output from the ATV into the TV and its optical output into your Bose system?

Your TV has two HDMI inputs, and your Bose should have one optical input and several coax digital inputs, so if your cable box is currently using the optical input it probably also has a coax digital output that you can switch to and then use the optical input for the ATV.

Alternately, you can get very cheap (<$20) optical to coax digital audio converter boxes; I've used one once and it seemed to work fine.

If you want the ATV's audio on the TV rather than the Bose for some reason, you could use the Bose as a passthrough (connect its audio out to the TV). Or, if you really want, you can get optical audio to analog RCA converter boxes (like this one) for maybe $30, give or take. Never used one myself, but they probably work okay.

And if you were trying to avoid using an optical cables because they're expensive, you're buying your optical cable from the wrong source. Digital, being lossless, is always better than analog for connections (particularly audio, since it allows the sound system to do the processing), and I've never heard of people having a problem with cheap optical cables--you'd have to have serious cable problems before it's going to start dropping bits. Or buy from Bluejeans Cable, for quality materials (often US-made) at reasonable prices; Toslink optical cable in any length you want is about $10 + 75 cents a foot. I have a ~20' optical cable from them running from my Mac Mini to my home theater system, and it works flawlessly.

8. gilienv macrumors newbie

ATV, Bose and HDTV

Hi,

I have a Sony 46" HDTV, an AppleTV (WiFi) and the Bose Acoustimass Ten speaker system.
    And an old iMac running Mountain Lion.

However, I do not have any "HomeTheater Receiver".

Does that mean I'm crippled in terms of:
    1. Using Bose speakers for listening to my music on iMac/iCloud
    2. Using Bose for watching movies on the HDTV

Do I absolutely need to buy a receiver as well?

Please assist,
    Feeling really lost with so much equipment

Thanks a lot, in advance

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Firstly, welcome to the forums.
    Secondly, there is a section devoted to Apple TV and home theater, no need to dig up 2 year-old topics.

On to your issue. Do you currently get audio on the Bose system from your TV? If so, how does it get there? Your TV SHOULD pass the audio from the HDMI from the ATV to the speakers in the same way.