Apple TV and housemates

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by shandyman, Jan 31, 2016.

1. shandyman Suspended

I've got an Apple TV, I'm moving in with some friends and I want them to be able to watch what I've purchased in iTunes. The problem is, I don't want them to be able to purchase things on my account. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that's possible. Am I wrong?

2. jdag macrumors 6502a

Set the AppleTV to not remember your password when you 1st log into your iTunes account, and don't share your password with anyone.

3. shandyman thread starter Suspended

That will work for accessing purchased ones and not purchasing any new ones?

4. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

If you have a computer that can always be on, just put it all in iTunes and turn on home sharing. The AppleTV will be able to watch everything through the "Computers" menu. But the iTunes Store stuff can be left alone.

5. shandyman thread starter Suspended

I know that, but it's not practical, which is why I was asking about the way I wanted to do it.

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

You can setup Family Sharing and create a Child Account (like 15 years old) and then set that account to require permission to purchase. I have limited experience with it and the only problem I found when testing is you can not use two Account ID's where they belong to two different Family Accounts. Again, the account is kind of a DUMMY for this purpose.

7. jdag macrumors 6502a

I am not 100% sure, but believe so.

8. ApfelKuchen, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016

ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Why is everyone making it so hard - you'd think nobody had ever demanded that Apple prevent the kids from making purchases!

Just set your password preference for Purchases to "Always Require."

Changing that preference requires you enter the password, so just keep you password to yourself, and all will be fine.

9. shandyman thread starter Suspended

No one is making it hard. People are just offering different solutions, including the one you gave.

10. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

I'm not sure, but I think if you don't have the password stored, it seems like it would require the password to access your purchases. Try it and see...

11. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

No, I decided to try it. Still works fine. I had forgot about that setting. My Family Share idea is more for two sites where you don't enter the credentials.
    The option suggested is a good idea for the OP. It simply says you need a Password for "Purchase and In-App Purchase". This should solve the problem easily.

12. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Setting up Family Sharing is a whole lot more complex, and doesn't really solve the problem posed. First off, under Family Sharing, the organizer of the sharing account takes financial responsibility for the purchases made on other accounts. So, one must still make those other accounts incapable of making purchases in order to achieve the desired goal. One could create a Child account for the "house," but the only real benefit in this case is "Ask to Buy" control over that account - if there's no intention to allow buying, why be (potentially) barraged with requests to approve purchases?

13. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

The other idea was better for the OP. But, with Family Share you give them their own login if needed. Which is probably not needed unless he was out of town and a problem was needed to login and he obviously did not want to share his primary password.

14. -Gonzo- macrumors regular

As long as the other members within that Family Sharing group top up their own accounts via iTunes vouchers/codes then funds will be deducted from their credit balance before it takes funds from the organisers account.
    Just make everyone aware of what to they need to do and that if you see any charges made to yourself from anything they've bought then you'll remove them from Family Sharing.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Here's a crazy idea...

"Hey guys, you're welcome to watch my stuff, but please don't use my account to buy stuff, because that's, you know, dickish."

16. priitv8, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016

priitv8 macrumors 68020

17. shandyman thread starter Suspended

When sharing with some randoms, there can be a lack of trust to start. A mate had one housemate buy 5 films, because they came home drunk and wanted to watch some other films.