Apple TV and HuluPlus

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tawcat, Oct 6, 2013.

1. tawcat macrumors regular

Seems we have a terrible lag in our streaming from an Airbook to ATV. Most times the show will start, but then within minutes the TV screen freezes, yet the show is still going on the Airbook.

We have this same issue with Netflix, but not as bad. I checked all the connections and settings and everything seems right.

Anyone experiencing this? Any suggestions as to a fix?

Thanks

2. surroundfan macrumors 6502

So are you using Hulu and Netflix apps on the Apple TV, or Airplay from the MacBook Air to the Apple TV?

You should do the former...

(I've certainly never experienced your issues, although buffering on my slow 9mbps ADSL connection is commonplace...)

3. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Using both Hulu and Netflix via airplay from the Airbook to ATV.

The program plays fine on the Airbook, but freezes, stalls etc on the TV.

4. surroundfan macrumors 6502

Why not use Hulu and Netflix directly on the Apple TV?

5. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

For many programs we do, however, some of the programs are not available, so you have to go through a pc of sorts.

I'm at wits end, trying to make wife happy.

6. xplnusa macrumors regular

I use the Hulu and Netflix apps right on the ATV with a 3M DSL connection and hardly ever experience any lag, it takes 15-30 seconds to buffer to start up usually but then I'm typically good for the rest of the show. I still surf the web and usually have a kid watching on an ipad at the same time too.

7. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Obviously y'all are not understanding. Yes, for many programs we can watch them via Huluplus or Netflix via the app on ATV or the smart TV.

However, some programs are not offered except on mac/pc/etc. For those my wife streams from her AirBook to ATV. Heres where the lag issue arises.

We enjoy many programs via the apps, but for those we can't it becomes an issue.

8. linds15 macrumors 6502a

how well does airplay work for you? if airplay (and not mirroring) works fine then we can rule out network issues

9. tawcat, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

linds15> Now I am confused, or just stupid! When I look at our display preferences the only option we are given is airplay mirroring, should I be seeing something else?

Update: Got a hold of ATT and questioned wife's AirBook speed test results. We have Max Plus which renders around 18mbps download speed; she is only getting between 4.4 and 9.7! So that could be the lag problem.

I questioned the router, they agreed it could be the router due to it being old. So they are sending a new router that is supposedly newer and more powerful. We'll see.

I'll update when I get the new router installed.

Also I found that with Chrome her top speeds hit into the 12mbps range. So it could be a combined issue.

10. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Okay new router installed, had her use Chrome to stream, 100% better. Still a little lag, but no freezing.

So tomorrow I am going to purchase a WiFi range extender. I'm thinking our house was built in 1943 when they used real building materials and the signal has to pass through three walls to where her laptop is at. I figure the extender will do the trick for sure.

Isn't it fun living in a world filled with techie gadgets:)

11. linds15 macrumors 6502a

airplay is when an app on on idevice or itunes on a computer passes its stream along to your ATV, so if you are watching something in itunes, you can click the airplay icon in itunes, and pick an ATV to send the stream to, your computer will NOT be mirroed on the ATV.

i asked what i did because airplay works (in my use) much better than display mirroring. mirroring tends to be have much more lag, for me airplay is flawless

12. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

13. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Actually, from my experience, OS X (or perhaps iTunes) is quite clever: you can have AirPlay mirroring turned on, but as soon as you start movie playback in iTunes, it will revert to plain streaming. You can observe this in iTunes - it's AirPlay connection has turned to your AppleTV instead of Computer. Also, you won't be able to end AirPlay mirroring and once you return iTunes playback to Computer, mirroring ends as well.

14. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular