Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
So in a rare event due to storms, my internet goes down for most of the evening. Ok, I settle in to use Home Sharing and stream movies/music across my home wifi connection to my Apple TV to enjoy on my big screen TV.

What a surprise. Video will not stream. That includes movies and TV shows not purchased from iTunes. Music, however, streams fine. 4 hours later the ISP connection is up and now videos stream fine too.

This to me seems odd. Why would there need to be an internet connection to watch your own movies residing on your own Mac computer at home and streaming across your own wifi network? Why would music be an exception and always work?

Any insight appreciated.

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Based on my experience with slow YouTube on the other thread, my wild guess is Apple is collecting users' information, but they assume everybody have beroadband and always on.

I am not defending them, merely theorize, with a little experience, what's happening to u.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Based on my experience with slow YouTube on the other thread, my wild guess is Apple is collecting users' information, but they assume everybody have beroadband and always on.

I am not defending them, merely theorize, with a little experience, what's happening to u.

Yes, I suspected the same. Apple wants to know what their customers are watching, and if that content was purchased from them or not. Since so many people rip their own CDs to iTunes, music must not be as much of a concern.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Well I was debating whether stay with Windows or go to a Mini for my next HTPC, but this is probably the last nail on that coffin.

Cinephi1e

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Northwest Ohio
I have streamed without the Internet many times. I often take an Airport Express and sometimes an Apple TV with me when I travel. I just set up a local network with the Airport Express and stream to the ATV. You need the Internet to authenticate everything the first time, but after that it all streams fine.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Home Sharing, as name implies, allows you to copy all media between homeshared computers, thus the authentication.
Also, you can still AirPlay your videos with Home Sharing turned off. You then just need to push the stream from iTunes. You can't browse your library from :apple:TV UI.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.