Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I was looking forward to using my new iPad 3 as a sort of game controller through my new Apple TV. I had tried that somewhat successfully with my iPad 2 and ATV 2, but for some games the controls had too much lag. I expected some improvement with the new iPad's faster graphics processing and the new ATV's higher resolution.

I was surprised to find that gaming is actually worse with the new devices. The frame rate seems terrible, with lots of stuttering, and the audio often breaks up. And as you might have expected, the controls still lag. I guess that won't improve until the ATV is Bluetooth-enabled.

I also expected to finally see the iPad full-screen on the ATV, since it has a far higher resolution than my HDTV. But it still shows up in a little window and the resolution is pretty poor.

Any idea why performance is so much worse with the new devices? Are there any settings I'm missing?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
SInce the iPad and Apple TV 3 had just been release today, chances are that those game you are trying haven't been updated to handle the new resolution or the new APIs for the new hardware.

Patient..... give the developer a chance to smell the new hardware!

UltimateFighter

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
I was looking forward to using my new iPad 3 as a sort of game controller through my new Apple TV. I had tried that somewhat successfully with my iPad 2 and ATV 2, but for some games the controls had too much lag. I expected some improvement with the new iPad's faster graphics processing and the new ATV's higher resolution.

I was surprised to find that gaming is actually worse with the new devices. The frame rate seems terrible, with lots of stuttering, and the audio often breaks up. And as you might have expected, the controls still lag. I guess that won't improve until the ATV is Bluetooth-enabled.

I also expected to finally see the iPad full-screen on the ATV, since it has a far higher resolution than my HDTV. But it still shows up in a little window and the resolution is pretty poor.

Any idea why performance is so much worse with the new devices? Are there any settings I'm missing?

How's your wireless connection? When I had a different router, mirroring would lag. Now though, I have my ATV hard wired and my ipad connects to my new Airport extreme. Everything is awesome and lagless.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
How's your wireless connection? When I had a different router, mirroring would lag. Now though, I have my ATV hard wired and my ipad connects to my new Airport extreme. Everything is awesome and lagless.

Yeah and if it is wireless, are you using G or N? Could make a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.