Apple TV and iTunes needs a boxset option for movies

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Risco, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Anyone agree? I mean it works fine with episodes in TV shows. However when you say have all the Star Trek movies, that is a LOT of scrolling and clutter. It could quite easily be solved by having a boxset option.

Thoughts?

2. institute macrumors regular

Or a category called "collections" or something like that.

3. linds15 macrumors 6502a

i hope they implement this for tv seasons, for movies i have them listed chronologically so its not as bas to have to skim thorough em

4. morningsong macrumors member

morningsong

I tag the genre instead of sci-if, comedy or drama..
    Harry Potter, Tarantino, Star Trek...makes it much easier to surf my 2TB of media.

5. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

6. Omne666 macrumors 6502a

Actually, there's a better way people.

I also used to do this...start trek 1, Star Trek 2, etc, so they'd clump together.

Until I read somewhere in this forum to actually leave the names as they should be, but in the SORTING field in iTunes, do the Star Trek 1,2,3 etc. works a dream, the movies look right in the menu list, and one follows directly after the one it's supposed to.

I've done this with all that need it. Star Wars, matrix, Star Trek, Harry potter, etc etc etc.

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Yes, I am using this sort order meta-tag as well, and it really works. However, what most are complaining about, is the missing grouping of the TV-Series' seasons and Box-Set movies, which would shorten it's current one-dimensional Movie list on :apple:TV screen.

8. Omne666 macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is unfortunately a long standing complaint.

My solution (which I use for TV shows anyway) is actually 2 solutions.

1. I delete all season numbers, but the episode number becomes 101,102 etc for season 1, 201, 202 etc for season 2 and so forth.

This works fine and as the cursor will jump to the first blue dot in the series, it keeps me up to the latest in watching them.

However, when a TV series runs for 10 years or more, you can no longer do this as episode numbers can ONLY have a max of 3 digits.

So solution number 2 is:
    Totally sequentialise the episode numbers, with no breaks. But in the episode ID field you have more liberty in what to put. Here I identify which season and episode it really is.

Obviously I do this AFTER metadata has been added.

Also, if I ever need to revert to correct field numberings in episode and season, its a very fast thing to do in iTunes. So if Apple ever decide to fix it, and I do mean fix because they had it right on the Apple TV1, I can easy revert to the correct way of doing things. (And yes I know ATV1 was based on TIGER, since then its iOS)

This presents me with 1 TV Show entry on the ATV menu system, though when its like 14 season long, a hell of a long list is within that. Thankfully, as I mentioned, the cursor jumps to the first unwatched episode.

As a side note...for TV series's that are still ongoing, I leave the last season correct until that season is finished.

Oh, and also...to make it SUPER easy, get a DOUG SCRIPT called Increment Tag Numbers....does the work for you within iTunes.

9. mslide macrumors 6502a

This is one of my biggest complaints about the Apple TV. The HTPC fronted developers solved this issue years ago. Whenever I go to my movie library, on my Apple TV, I feel like I'm going back to my first HTPC. The flat list is just a horrible interface except for really small collections.

The "tag movies with the series name instead of the genre" is a pretty good idea. I never thought of that. My TV show solution is to simply not rip them. I've just never had a desire to watch an entire series enough times to bother ripping them plus many of the shows I would want to watch more than once are already on Netflix.

10. Che Castro macrumors 603

I want the Apple TV home sharing to be like this

Breaking bad / season / episode