Apple TV and Logitech remotes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by puckhead193, Mar 19, 2017.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I need a new remote for my TV (My fios one bit the bullet) and was looking around for a new one and notice that the Logitech Harmony's claim they work with the Apple TV. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know it won't have the swipe feature but i thought the remote used bluetooth to communicate?

Was wondering if it's worth it to spend the extra money for a logitech rather then some generic thing.

Thanks

2. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

3. HDFan macrumors 6502

I use a Logitech Harmony One with my Apple TV's with no problem for casual use. It handles all basic functions. Here are the commands that the MyHarmony app supports for the AppleTV. Don't know if you can teach it any others.

Back
    DirectionDown
    DirectionLeft
    DirectionRight
    DirectionUp
    FastForward
    Home
    Menu
    NextChapter
    PageDown
    PageUP
    Pair
    Pause
    Play
    PrevChapter
    Reset
    Rewind
    Select
    SkpBack
    SkipForward
    Stop
    UnPair
    VideoMode

There are a lot of these that I haven't used so I can't verify their correctness or implementation.

If I am using my AT4 intensively and want to use the features which the Logitech doesn't support (touch scrubbing, SIRI, multiple key options such as opening multitask list, etc.) then I find it worth it to switch to the ATV4 remote.

4. jdag macrumors 6502a

I have Harmony 670 remotes that are programmed to work with the ATV4. They work well, although I personally prefer to use the ATV remote. I really no longer need the 670 as my only "boxes" are ATVs, so I no longer need to control multiple devices with the universal remote. That being said, I still keep the Harmony remotes nearby for the people that are more comfortable with a "traditional" remote.

5. vipergts2207 macrumors 6502a

vipergts2207

I bought a Harmony Elite with my Sony X900E TV, as I read that the remote that came with the TV wasn't great. It works well with my Apple TV. A $300 remote would probably be overkill if you're only going to use it for your TV and Apple TV. I've got multiple devices to control though including my TV, an Apple TV, a receiver and a PS4.

6. chuyn macrumors 6502

It is overkill if it's just for the Apple TV, but great if you a lot of devices. It doesn't support the Siri remote's home button though. There is a "home" button on the harmony that will return to the main screen but it's more like holding down the menu button to do that. Double pressing it won't bring up the app switcher and with the new TV app, pressing the harmony's home button won't bring you to the TV app. It's actually really annoying.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I still prefer the ATV remote b.c of Siri and the ability to swipe ff/rw. Harmony is really for home theater use. Most cable companies provided remotes can control a simple set up with a TV, cable box, and soundbar.

8. bluespark macrumors 6502a

I use both a Harmony One and a Harmony Ultimate with a couple of different Apple TV's. Both work just fine. As others have mentioned, the Harmony can't do Siri on the ATV4, but I never use that anyway.

Note, though, that the ATV 4 broke a great feature the ATV 3 had, and it affects remotes: On the ATV 3, you could press and hold FF or Rewind and it would greatly speed up after a moment to go through long lists with ease. The ATV 4 doesn't do that, presumably because someone assumed people would want to do a fast swipe on the ATV 4 touchpad. I'm in the group that can't stand the ATV 4 remote, so that ends up being a missing feature for me.

9. chuyn macrumors 6502

Do you mean for something like going up and down long lists of movies in the computer app? Because on the most recent beta, holding down down will eventually speed it up to go down the list much quicker. A very welcome addition imo

10. bluespark macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's an example of what I was talking about. If they are bringing back that ability, that would be great. Thanks for letting us know this may be the works.

11. PhoenixDown macrumors member