Apple TV and MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by disco87, Mar 21, 2013.

1. disco87 macrumors newbie

Hi,

So I've just bought a rMBP and I have also been given Apple TV by a friend who never used it. I also don't own a TV, I was wondering if I could use the Apple TV on my mac to watch TV shows etc. At the moment I just stream TV shows as I'm living in a country where I don't speak the language and I thought the AppleTV might give me a bit more freedom to watch things from it.

Im new to all things apple as I was a previous Windows user so I'm not really sure what Apple TV is and my small amount of research has always indicated that a TV is needed.

Thanks for your help.

2. cxc273 macrumors regular

The Apple TV is designed to be used with an HDMI-equipped TV. You can use the Apple TV to mirror whatever is on your Macbook Pro's screen, so if you're, for example, streaming something through the CBS website, you can "push" it on to your TV.

There are a number of networks like CBS, ESPN, etc. that allow you to watch TV through the Web. Apple TV is designed for watching stuff like Netflix and Hulu, as well as whatever is in your iTunes library.

3. disco87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. So there is no way to use the apple tv and just to watch it on my mac then? So without a tv it is not much use to me I guess.

4. institute macrumors regular

If you have no TV you don't need an ATV. Just watch the stuff on your computer.