Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razzerman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Hello,

I have an old (but still running strong) G5, would anybody know if I would be able to use it to stream my itunes and iphoto and movie libraries through the Apple tv. The G5 is running 10.4.11.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Ray

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
If it's an ATV 2, you'll need iTunes 10, which will require you to update to 10.5 on your G5.

If it's an ATV1 you should be fine with iTunes 9 (which works under Tiger).

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Like Adrain said, you'll need a software update on the g5, but otherwise it should work just fine. There's plenty of performance in the g5. If you need more storage just use USB or firewire disks. Or, if you have a NAS you can use that just fine.

I wouldn't be afraid to use the g5 for basic video encoding with Handbrake or whatever your chosen app is. It will work, just really slowly.

One thing that I believe is worth thinking about is the resale value of the Powermac and energy usage. If you were, for example, to sell the Powermac and use the funds to purchase a base 2011 Mac Mini you'd have a system that would use significantly less power, include all the latest software updates, have a warranty and is so tiny it will disappear almost anywhere. Personally, I'd probably go this route unless the Powermac has some other value I'm not aware of.

Razzerman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Thanks for the replies :)

Bit of a booger having to upgrade to 10.5, but I guess that's the way it goes.

As for selling and upgrading to a mini, not a bad suggestion - I'll just have to get it past the wife.

Thanks again

Ray

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.