Apple TV and SD TV Questions From a Newbie

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cfitz7111, Nov 25, 2009.

1. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Hi
    I tried searching the forums, but could not find anything that would answer my questions. If they have, I apologize in advance and would appreciate any links.

I am considering buying my wife an Apple TV for Christmas, she loves my brother in laws, and she is hardly a tech person.

I currently have a 32" Toshiba 32A33 SD CRT Television in my living room, where I would like to put the :apple:TV.

The Toshiba has ColorStream Component Video In.

I have read that as long as you have component in, ATV will work. I have also read you have to kind of hack it when switching resolutions, unplugging and replugging, etc, or readjusting the screen size setting on the TV itself, I would have to look to see if there is a letter box option on the TV itself.

Before I buy this I just would like to know if it will work, not too much to ask ;)

Thanks

2. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

You should be able to make it work, though the :apple:TV is intended for use specifically with widescreen TVs (though not necessarily, as is popularly believed, only with HD TVs). From Apple's 'tech specs' page for the :apple:TV:

Since you have component inputs you will be able to connect the two, though the default 16:9 output of the :apple:TV would be compressed horizontally to fit your screen and the image would be distorted. I wouldn't be surprised if your TV has a '16:9 mode' that will display the :apple:TV content, though it would be letterboxed and might look too small on your TV. Further, if you were to watch 4:3 content this way, it would be both letterboxed and pillarboxed, so there would be a small image in the center with a black border all around. I believe there is a way, through a combination of keypresses on the remote, to put the :apple:TV into a 4:3 mode. Someone posted that recently, but I've never tried it. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

Edit: Check out this thread. There's a lot emphasis on how to hook up the :apple:TV using composite input, which doesn't apply to you since you have component, but buried in there is also info on how to get the :apple:TV to play nice with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Good luck!