Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple TV+ app is now rolling out to Sky Q and Sky Glass TV devices, following a deal between Apple and Comcast earlier this year.

apple-tv-plus-banner.jpg

Users of the Sky Q set-top box and the new Sky Glass TV will see the Apple TV+ automatically appear on their device, but it is possible to expedite the installation if it has not yet occurred by navigating to Settings, System Management, Resets & Updates, and clicking Refresh Apps. This "updates all existing apps on this device and adds any newly available apps," and should force the installation of the Apple TV+ app.

Apple TV+ joins other video streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and more that are already integrated into Sky's platform. It is effectively the same stripped-down version of the Apple TV+ app available on other Smart TVs from LG and Samsung.

Sky also today published a guide on how to sign in and use the Apple TV+ app on Sky Q and Sky Glass.

As part of the deal between Apple and Comcast, the Apple TV+ app will come to Xfinity in the United States, while Comcast's own Xfinity Stream app come to the Apple TV. Sky customers in the UK will also be able to access Sky Go on the ‌Apple TV‌ starting in mid-2022.

Article Link: Apple TV+ App Now Rolling Out to Sky Q and Sky Glass TVs

Last edited:

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
My Sky Q box in the UK doesn’t have a ‘System Management’ setting, however the Apple TV+ app has appeared in Apps > New in without any action on my part.

Reactions: Brenster

pauloregan

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2017
United Kingdom
Just tried it on my SkyQ and it was there waiting for me.
Clunky to use compared the the AppleTV4K but its nice to have options.
Isn't Dolby Vision, but is 4K HDR. Has Dolby Atmos.

It is different to the std Apple LG TV apps etc as the Library tabs are missing. It is only the AppleTV+ content.
I assume, as Sky sell movies, they did a deal to omit that.

Last edited:
Reactions: darkslide29

movielad

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Surrey
It's about time that Sky released a better Sky Q box that is faster - maybe NAND/SSD for the main OS and the trusty ol' rusty spinning HDDs for recordings. Anything to speed up Sky Q app loading times. Apple TV+ on Sky Q is bloody slow in comparison to an Apple TV box, plus you don't have access to your iTunes movie/TV show library. It'd be nice if Apple would allow us better access to our libraries outside of Apple hardware. If they can do it on Windows, why not other media devices?

As for Sky Go on Apple TV - they've still got a way to go just to update the Sky Go app on macOS. Still not Universal binary, and is subsequently even slower than the Apple TV+ app on the Sky Q box!

Reactions: SFjohn

movielad

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Surrey
Just tried it on my SkyQ and it was there waiting for me.
Clunky to use compared the the AppleTV4K but its nice to have options.
Isn't Dolby Vision, but is 4K HDR. Has Dolby Atmos.

It is different to the std Apple LG TV apps etc as the Library tabs are missing. It is only the AppleTV+ content.
I assume, as Sky sell movies, they did a deal to omit that.

Sky may sell movies, but it shouldn't hinder those with existing libraries to be able to watch them via the Sky Q box. You just wouldn't be able to buy them from the Apple app on the Sky Q box.

Reactions: zobby

zobby

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
No surprise I guess that they want to restrict movies purchased on Apple. But limiting options just for its own sake won’t endear sky’s customer base. Better than nothing though I have to admit.

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
No surprise that it’s only ATV+ streaming content via SkyQ with no access to iTunes movie purchases.

I watched an episode of Dr Brain tonight (quite enjoying this series as it happens), the first half via Sky Q and the second half via my Apple TV 4K as I wanted to compare.

The benefit of accessing it via Sky Q is the simplicity of using the same remote / user interface. That’s good. However, while my Sky Q box is HDR capable, the picture quality via the Apple TV 4K was noticeably better, more depth and texture. Quite a difference I thought. And not just me, Mrs iB agreed too. So I think I’ll stick to watching streamed content via the Apple TV 4K. I’ve noticed that it’s also better for Netflix and Amazon content when compared to both SkyQ and the onboard apps on my LG E9 OLED TV. A win for Apple generally in terms of picture quality.

If I didn’t have the ATV 4K I wouldn’t know that of course and would be happy to have all of this available via a single user interface such as SkyQ.

t0pher

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
UK
Just took a look and it’s there.

im not getting Dolby digital plus (atmos) on foundation though And only hdr (pq) too.

picture looked blurry compared to 4k Dolby vision from the previous gen 4k Atv.

convenience is welcome though especially as we have a few Q mini’s.

t0pher

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
UK
Main 2tb Q box works ok,

the mini’s don’t show the dashboard screen, searching plays content fine.

siri doesn’t forward or rewind content though which is quite useful on the atv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.