Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Alsie

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hello, I am at a loss on where else to look for a solution for my issue so I figured I'd post it here in hopes that one of you can help me figure this out. I am not sure if the Apple TV is to blame or not.

Here is my equipment list:

Apple TV 4K
Vizio 5.1.4 Atmos Sound Bar
2016 Vizio M65-C1

The Apple TV is connected to the Soundbar via HDMI and the soundbar is connected to the TV via HDMI through the ARC port.

Finally, the problem in question

Whenever I watch a show on Netflix or HBO NOW, the audio in the menu screens (and even the trailers that play before HBO shows) comes through fine. However, once the actual show/movie starts, center channel audio seemingly drops out. It usually resolves itself if I hit "menu" on the remote, swipe around until I hear the click/menu sounds and then jump back into the show.

Does anyone else have a similar issue? Any ideas on how to fix it?

TZeruk

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
What kind of HDMI cable are you using? I was using an old HDMI cable with my 2018 Vizio and it was causing all sorts of issues when I had Dolby enabled. Make sure you have a high speed cable going for both your connections. The Belkin Ultra HD cable works great.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Check your HDMI cable. I had issues with Dolby Vision/Atmos until I bought a newer/better HDMI cable. (Still a cheap Monoprice one, just a newer cheap Monoprice one rated for Dolby.)

Big Alsie

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Cable seems to have fixed it. I guess the Vizio supplied cable that came with the system was not up to the task of handling Atmos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.