Apple TV Audio issue

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by sohanangal, Jul 7, 2014.

1. sohanangal macrumors member

Hi,
    I have an Apple TV and I use it for playing music on my phone wirelessly. It used to work perfectly fine till a few days back.

I have connected the Apple TV to the Television by HDMI cable, and to my home theater using the optical audio cable. Now when I try to play music from my phone on the Apple TV, it plays it through the TV speakers and not the home theater, like it used to before. I checked all the settings but could not find how to change this setting.

Kindly help! :)

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

does the sound from video play through the optical?

have you checked your connections to make sure something hasn't come loose?

have you made sure there's not a setting in the stereo that got changed?

3. sohanangal thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

The sound from video plays through the TV itself.

All connections are fine, no issues.

Also, I cannot see a setting from where I can choose whether audio output is to be given through optical cable, or the HDMI. It used to work perfectly fine previously and I had not done any settings then either.

Please help!

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In general it is better to run HDMI to your receiver and let if do all the switching. As waw74 pointed out it sounds like you are not getting audio through the S/PDIF (Optical) output cable. You say "All connections are fine". So that means you have replaced the S/PDIF cable with a know working cable and still no sound?

Also it could be an input assignment issue with your receiver. Have you tried other inputs (if your receiver has more than 1)?