Apple TV audio processing (HDCD lost)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rnspaight, Mar 12, 2011.

1. rnspaight macrumors newbie

I have a large iTunes library ripped from CDs in Apple Lossless. I had been playing them on the "big" stereo via an AirPort Express. One thing I liked about this setup is that the Apple Lossless files were passed through to my receiver unaltered, such that HDCD-encoded files would trigger the receiver's HDCD decoder.

I got an Apple TV today and noticed that when streaming music to it (whether from the Apple TV interface or by selecting it via AirPlay in iTunes), HDCD files would not trigger the HDCD decoder, so the file is being changed somehow (compressed, converted, etc.) by the Apple TV. I tried both the HDMI and optical interfaces.

I like the onscreen artwork and other features on the Apple TV, but would prefer the audio to passed through to the receiver untouched. Is there a way to make it behave like the AirPort Express?

2. rnspaight thread starter macrumors newbie

After some more digging I found some info that the ATV2 is converting everything to 48kHz, which would obviously wipe out the HDCD information.

I'll hope for an option in the future to keep 44.1 material as-is, and perhaps hang on to the AirPort Express for serious music work.