Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SeekingAlpha points to some Automator actions (New Video Capture, New Audio Capture) first posted by TechRestore as evidence of possible future DVR capabilities in the Apple TV. This conclusion is wrong.

Looking back, TechRestore's original article is a list of what files can be found on the Apple TV hard drive. The Apple TV contains a stripped version of Mac OS X 10.4.7. Amongst other things, it includes Quicktime functionality to play back audio and video.

Every Quicktime install comes with Automator actions, including:
New Audio Capture
New Video Capture
Pause Capture
Start Capture
Stop Capture
These Automator actions can be found in any Mac OS X 10.4.x install under /System/Library/Automator and have no unique relationship with Apple TV.

roland.g

macrumors demi-god
Apr 11, 2005
I could see a potentially more likely situation where the Apple TV offers iChat integration with a new external USB 2.0 iSight connected to an Apple TV for TV based, widescreen video conferencing. Yet that is doubtful and if likely at all several revisions/software updates away.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
This is probably the first time a MacRumours article answers its own question? YES.

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Question is: when will EyeTV be able to run on an :apple:TV? ONLY that could make me think of getting one.

Matthew

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
This is probably the first time a MacRumours article answers its own question? YES.

It is strangely refreshing.

So often we hear of rumors and are left with questions. Now we know. "No."

...that is until someone hacks it to use eyeTV or something. It's only a matter of time.

-Clive

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I think Arn is on a warpath... but then, better to state the truth than for people to believe the hype

SunnyBonno

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2007

Yeah, so if macrumors knows it's wrong, why waste our time? I dont get the point of this post either. This is almost as stupid as when it was posted in this same section that some teenager wrote on his blog that all macs would be updated soon.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Yeah, so if macrumors knows it's wrong, why waste our time? I dont get the point of this post either. This is almost as stupid as when it was posted in this same section that some teenager wrote on his blog that all macs would be updated soon.

The point is so that all the teenagers and n00bs will stop talking about it.

I, for one, am glad to hear it because it'll reduce the chance of people saying "I'm waiting for Rev. 2 when Apple enables DVR functionality *gluck* *gluck*"

...morons. DVR COMPETES WITH THE iTUNES STORE! Get that through your teenage/n00b skulls!

-Clive

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN

And, coincidentally, the title for the preceding Page 2 article was changed to "Meet the New Macs? No.," further corroborating your conjecture of a new MacRumors titling trend... and further adding to my refreshment.

-Clive

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Has anybody even looked into their Automator folders, because I certainly don't have these files, I even searched for them and nada.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Just chiming in to say that I really appreciate the new tone, if that is what it is, in order to combat false rumors. I think you may have gone a bit TOO far, though:

...as evidence of possible future DVR capabilities in the Apple TV. This conclusion is wrong, and the authors of this lie are no doubt 45 year-old virgins still living in their parents basements.

I mean, I'm all for pointing out when rumors are wrong, but come on guys. :p

zjrhens

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2004
Good thought but wait one second

This whole apple DVR thing sounds cool but how would apple tv be able to relay video at the same time its captureing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.