Apple TV Billboard Campaign Begins Featuring Content Including 'The Simpsons'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Apple continues to ramp up promotion of the new Apple TV, building on its series of advertisements focusing on the television shows and games available to users on the set-top box. As noticed by MacRumors reader Jordan, the company has begun to expand its previous colorful billboard campaign by featuring content available on the new box, including an ad themed after The Simpsons.

Image via Jordan Schau on Twitter

The billboard is similar in theme to the multi-colored advertisement campaign Apple introduced following the launch of the new Apple TV. Over the weekend, the company used its official App Store Twitter account to continue the campaign and share a few new tie-in ads. So far it has promoted various games, apps like Nat Geo TV, and television shows including Veep and Game of Thrones.

"Siri, let's watch Game of Thrones." #AppleTV #HBONOW pic.twitter.com/jrGhPtaHp7 - App Store (@AppStore) December 7, 2015
Apple began its new Apple TV campaign in the middle of November, a few weeks after the device launched in late October. Some of the earlier commercials included promotions of Crossy Road, Orange is the New Black, and The Muppets, all playing on the fourth-generation Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple TV Billboard Campaign Begins Featuring Content Including 'The Simpsons'

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet

Apple continues to ramp up promotion of the new Apple TV, building on its series of advertisements focusing on the television shows and games available to users on the set-top box. As noticed by MacRumors reader Jordan, the company has begun to expand its previous colorful billboard campaign by featuring content available on the new box, including an ad themed after The Simpsons.

Image via Jordan Schau on Twitter

The billboard is similar in theme to the multi-colored advertisement campaign Apple introduced following the launch of the new Apple TV. Over the weekend, the company used its official App Store Twitter account to continue the campaign and share a few new tie-in ads. So far it has promoted various games, apps like Nat Geo TV, and television shows including Veep and Game of Thrones.

Apple began its new Apple TV campaign in the middle of November, a few weeks after the device launched in late October. Some of the earlier commercials included promotions of Crossy Road, Orange is the New Black, and The Muppets, all playing on the fourth-generation Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple TV Billboard Campaign Begins Featuring Content Including 'The Simpsons'
cool. hoping more networks go the route of HBO and let us pay per channel. really hate the bundling of networks i have no interest in ever watching. as do most the cord cutters out there. hoping this is the beginning of a paradigm shift in tv broadcasting.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
This article from MacRumors sister-site TouchArcade is worrying: http://toucharcade.com/2015/12/07/apple-tv-app-store-games-making-100-dollars-a-day/. Hopefully Apple ramps up advertising for this platform so developers can be incentivized (you know, with money) to make quality apps for it. My mom said she's getting me one for Christmas and I'm excited to try it out. I just hope Apple takes things seriously this time. So far I'm unconvinced.

I still like my Apple TV 3rd gen (my first Apple TV) but it is getting a little dated. If Apple does come out with a more advanced Apple TV next year, then I hope it's for gaming. There are some decent iOS games that would go well with a controller on the big screen. Having better specs and an Apple designed controller would be fantastic, but for now the specs on this machine aren't bad for casual to moderate gaming. I'm going to pick up a MadCatz controller for it.

I hope they announce that streaming TV service later this winter/spring when they have that rumored 6c/iPad Air 3/Apple Watch 2 event.

applerocks

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
There are lots of different ones like this all over Chicago. Saw some NBA themed ones (ball popping out in the colors) with the subtle NBA logo, for example.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors 604
cool. hoping more networks go the route of HBO and let us pay per channel. really hate the bundling of networks i have no interest in ever watching. as do most the cord cutters out there. hoping this is the beginning of a paradigm shift in tv broadcasting.
Wouldn't individual channels or networks as stand-alone apps mean the end of the consolidated on-screen guide? As is, that outdated ("200 channels I never watch") model does tend to provide an electronic guide of everything on every channel at-a-glance. If the wish of every channel/network as it's own app is realized, it seems the ability to browse so simply to find something to watch would be the casualty of this "the future" we appear to want so badly.

Siri and similar solutions work when you already know what you want to watch. But on-screen guides help people find shows they don't know they want to watch when they sit down... and easily discover new shows they can't request (of Siri) by name in this "the future" dream.

I'm happy there is an app store and I'm excited to see what the various third parties bring out in :apple:TV apps but I hope this "the future" of individual apps for each channel/network doesn't come at the expense of many of the niceties of the "as is" model... especially in an easily searched, easily organized, consolidated list of everything I can watch right now in some kind of on-screen guide. If I have to know what I want to watch before I turn on the set, it seems new show discovery would suffer some pain.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
Wouldn't individual channels or networks as stand-alone apps mean the end of the consolidated on-screen guide? As is, that outdated ("200 channels I never watch") model does tend to provide an electronic guide of everything on every channel at-a-glance. If the wish of every channel/network as it's own app is realized, it seems the ability to browse so simply to find something to watch would be the casualty of this "the future" we appear to want so badly.

Siri and similar solutions work when you already know what you want to watch. But on-screen guides help people find shows they don't know they want to watch when they sit down... and easily discover new shows they can't request (of Siri) by name in this "the future" dream.

I'm happy there is an app store and I'm excited to see what the various third parties bring out in :apple:TV apps but I hope this "the future" of individual apps for each channel/network doesn't come at the expense of many of the niceties of the "as is" model... especially in an easily searched, easily organized, consolidated list of everything I can watch right now in some kind of on-screen guide. If I have to know what I want to watch before I turn on the set, it seems new show discovery would suffer some pain.
you don't want an a la cart option channel by channel to you can cumbersomely scroll down 200 channels to "discover" what is on?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors 604
"What's on tonight?"
"I don't know. Which app do we want to check first?"
"What's on HBO?"
<open app and looks at the new shows for tonight> "nothing"
"What on Showtime?"
<close HBO app and open Showtime app> "nothing"
"What on CBS?"
<close Showtime app and open CBS> "nothing"
repeat
repeat
repeat

Ahhh, the future of television.

Cue nerdgasm.

More seriously, when we get to that future, I have to think that many of us are going to miss some of the niceties- and net value- of the old cable model. If we don't end up with some kind of consolidated "on-screen" guide for discovering an answer to "what's on tonight?" for all the times we don't know what we want to watch, I think that will be a HUGE loss in some new model. Having to work through one app at a time seems like a massive step in the wrong direction unless a person knows exactly what they want to watch and thus exactly which app will have that show.

Being able to search with a Siri is great... but only if that search functionality spreads across all of the apps to come. For example, if we replicate the 200-channel cable package in 200 apps, it seems we will need Siri to be able to search across all 200 apps. But even with Siri search, part of that depends on knowing what one wants to watch... and that isn't always THE singular answer to "what's on tonight?"

Last edited:

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
That's what I have a problem with. When I sit down to watch TV, I want to know everything that's on at that moment. I don't want to have to search through apps to find shows.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
"What's on tonight?"
"I don't know. Which app do we want to check first?"
"What's on HBO?"
<open app and looks at the new shows for tonight> "nothing"
"What on Showtime?"
<close HBO app and open Showtime app> "nothing"
"What on CBS?"
<close Showtime app and open CBS> "nothing"
repeat
repeat
repeat

Ahhh, the future of television.

Cue nerdgasm.

More seriously, when we get to that future, I have to think that many of us are going to miss some of the niceties- and net value- of the old cable model. If we don't end up with some kind of consolidated "on-screen" guide for discovering an answer to "what's on tonight?" for all the times we don't know what we want to watch, I think that will be a HUGE loss in some new model. Having to work through one app at a time seems like a massive step in the wrong direction unless a person knows exactly what they want to watch and thus exactly which app will have that show.

Being able to search with a Siri is great... but only if that search functionality spreads across all of the apps to come. For example, if we replicate the 200-channel cable package in 200 apps, it seems we will need Siri to be able to search across all 200 apps. But even with Siri search, part of that depends on knowing what one wants to watch... and that isn't always THE singular answer to "what's on tonight?"
well, if there's a market for needing a list of programs based on what's available on apple tv, sounds like someone will probably go ahead and write that app. problem solved.