Apple TV: Buy Now, or Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lmannyr, Apr 20, 2013.

1. lmannyr macrumors newbie

I need to pick up an Apple TV. The current version is not gigabit supported. Will the next version have gigabit ethernet support?

I'll be using it mainly to airplay Plex unless Apple brings the AppStore into the ATV. When and if they do, then i'll run Plex off of the ATV. The PLEX server is on a gigabit network. With Gigabit ATV, it sure would be faster! Not interested in other boxes (Roku, etc...) since everything is Apple.

Will there be a ATV4 this year? With gigabit ethernet?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Apple TV would see no gain from having a gigabit Ethernet connection. All of the media streamed to it falls well within 100 T-Base's abilities and about half within 10 T-base's.

3. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I've never had any issues streaming over wifi (from Airport Extreme) to the ATV, and some of my 1080p files are well over 10GBs, so I very much doubt we'll see gigabit in the next iteration. Heck, we'll be lucky if there is ethernet at all with the way Apple is sliming down the rMBPs and Airs.

If you need one, buy one now. At $99 you can't go wrong (or grab a refurb for $85). If a new one comes out, buy that too!! Can never have too many ATVs!

4. macalec macrumors 6502

I would not count on the Apple TV adding gigabit ethernet. Mostly because there is no need. Most consumers use wifi for streaming HD content with no issues. More likely, Apple will add 802.11ac in the future for more bandwidth.