Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting with the iOS 17 and tvOS 17 software updates released on Monday, any Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K model experiencing problems can be restored with a nearby iPhone, according to a new Apple support document.

tvOS-17-iPhone-Recovery-Mode.jpg

If a black screen with an iPhone appears on the TV, users can unlock their iPhone, hold it close to the Apple TV, and follow the on-screen recovery steps on the iPhone. When the recovery process is completed, the Apple TV will reboot.

On the Apple TV HD, there is a USB-C port that allows the device to be restored with a Mac over a wired connection. However, there is no USB-C port on any of the Apple TV 4K models, so Apple advised customers to contact Apple support to restore those models. With the new iPhone-based restore method, that is no longer necessary.

Read our tvOS 17 release post for an overview of other new Apple TV features, such as a FaceTime app and a redesigned Control Center.

Article Link: Apple TV Can Be Restored With an iPhone Starting With iOS 17

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
I'm surprised that this happened often enough that they had to build the feature into iOS/tvOS. This would be helpful for kiosk mode ATVs, I suppose.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
One feature that is welcomed is the addition of power off mode instead of sleep mode. My ATV4 that I purchased in 2015 is still getting OS updates. That's 8 years of OS upgrades. I do plan on upgrading when the OS upgrades stop.
Same here - but I plan to upgrade when the crank mechanism wears out and breaks.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
If a black screen with an iPhone appears on the TV, users can unlock their iPhone, hold it close to the Apple TV, and follow the on-screen recovery steps on the iPhone. When the recovery process is completed, the Apple TV will reboot
If it shows the on the TV screen an image of an iPhone next to an Apple TV then a user can simply hold their iPhone close to the Apple TV, which should trigger the repair feature. Nice change just like how Apple changed Sonoma to be able to work a DFU restore without Apple Configurator. Making the consumer less dependent on bringing it to a Apple store.

Blubbermann

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
Are you kidding me Apple? My Apple TV 4k (NO USB PORT) „died“ last week. No way to restore it, no response even with special siri remote commands, no screen, only blinking.

Bad luck 😬

• Wow

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
This is good to know. My 2016  TVHD has been doing that black screen a couple times over the last few months. I normally just unplug it and then plug it back in to restart it. I’ll try this next time. Gotta get me the  TV4K

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Are you kidding me Apple? My Apple TV 4k (NO USB PORT) „died“ last week. No way to restore it, no response even with special siri remote commands, no screen, only blinking.

Bad luck 😬

That's called "Apple wants the $4 Trillion valuation ASAP" crash. Easily resolved. Send them more money. ;)

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
I understand Apple lock-in / walled garden app approach…

But I know a dozen Android people that would buy and tv

It’s just asinine to not have an easy agnostic method to dfu this device imo

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Yes, now we need a thousand dollar dongle to restore instead of a $5 cable. Progre$$$$$$! ;)
As much as I prefer having the USB port, that $5 cable alone won’t restore anything, and the computer you require on the other side changes that value equation a lot.

Since Apple sells far more phones than computers, this seems like a pretty good solution.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
I understand Apple lock-in / walled garden app approach…

But I know a dozen Android people that would buy and tv

It’s just asinine to not have an easy agnostic method to dfu this device imo
You know a dozen Android people that would buy an Apple TV?

And they didn’t only because it didn’t have an Android version of this feature that was just introduced for the iPhone?

Seems reasonable.

Ahmamies

Cancelled
Oct 13, 2020
I wonder if this helps with the “blinking white light of dead” issue aka ATV not able to boot up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.