Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
I'm trying to decide between a Mac Mini and AppleTV for watching iMovies/photos. The iMovies are either 720 or 1080 @ 30fps. My projector is 720p native. The highest resolution at 30fps in Apple's specs is 540p. So a Mini + Front Row is winning out right now. Is there anyway to run a script to allow the AppleTV to play 720p @ 30fps or is that a hardware limitation (ie, could be done but frames may drop)?

Additionally, I have an extra 200gb USB drive currently not being used. Is there away to enable external USB storage?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Is there anyway to run a script to allow the AppleTV to play 720p @ 30fps or is that a hardware limitation (ie, could be done but frames may drop)?
Well, I would wager the atv *could* physically playback 720p a 30 fps, it would more be a function of bitrate and level of h.264. The thing that currently prohibits it is that iTunes won't let you transfer that size/frame rate at all. Afaik a "script" wouldn't really help overcome that. Now those with hacked atv's might be able to chime in here as they tend to bypass iTunes for playing movies on the atv hence bypassing its restrictions.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
Now those with hacked atv's might be able to chime in here as they tend to bypass iTunes for playing movies on the atv hence bypassing its restrictions.

So it sounds like IF you can get around the software, you might as well just get a Mini and probably have a stronger machine? I tried a few 1080i clips with a medium compression on a C2D MacBook Pro and the video stuttered a bit. I tried the same with a 720 clip and all was fine. Perhaps, 1920 x 1080 frames every 1/30th of a second with compression is asking to much?

indiekiduk

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Well, I would wager the atv *could* physically playback 720p a 30 fps, it would more be a function of bitrate and level of h.264. The thing that currently prohibits it is that iTunes won't let you transfer that size/frame rate at all. Afaik a "script" wouldn't really help overcome that. Now those with hacked atv's might be able to chime in here as they tend to bypass iTunes for playing movies on the atv hence bypassing its restrictions.

Yup its an iTunes restriction. My Sanyo Xacti HD1010 shoots at 720p 30fps 10MB/s and the h264 files are not allowed to be synced to the Apple TV. If you hack your Apple TV and FTP them over it plays them fine. Syncing with iTunes would have been nice maybe there is a patch for iTunes or something.

mostro900

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
add USB ?

Further to the original poster's 2nd question...

is it possible to just add an HDD to the ATV through the USB port and use that as an additional media storage area or would this require some hacking ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.