Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
As most of the posters on the Apple TV forum know, I have been a fan since the day it was announced. I am having severe network issues though and need your help! The Apple Support forums have been useless so far.

I have been having major streaming issues to my Apple TV for a few months now. Its been getting progressively worse. I can't even stream a few minutes of a program without my network locking up and freezing.

Basically, the streaming performance is poor, and after 20 or 30 minutes, the movie that is playing freezes, then the entire wireless network created by the Time Capsule stops working. Anything hooked up via Ethernet however still does work. Only the Time Capsule Network fails. This happens every time I reboot the Time Capsule. I have also started over and reset the device.

I had Apple replace the Time Capsule (gen I, 500 gig), and had my cable company replace my modem. Neither one of these things solved the problem at all. It is still happening.

I have the cable modem running into the Time Capsule, then the Time Capsule runs into a router that sends wired ethernet through various points in the house (although at this time only 1 compute is still hard wired).

I have no idea what is causing this. Could this be an Apple TV issue? Why would it cause the entire network to crash?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Does this coincide with a wireless Time Machine backup to the Time Capsule?

DanielMyst777

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
I here ya brotha. Both my Apple TV's have been doing this for awhile now ever since I got them. Apparently, for streaming, if the movie is using a lot of graphics and/or sounds quality the buffering of it causes a system wide network crash, usually the router. I have to wait maybe 1-2 min for the router to reboot and then all is working again until a random crash from steaming.

Hoping the new Apple TV will fix this network issue due to better steaming capabilities.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I do not use a time capsule but I thought it was a wireless router with a hard drive inside. If so, why are you using a second router instead of maybe a switch? I happen to have 3 wireless routers in my house for spreading the signal and wanted to have dedicated N for some devices and did not want to use mixed. To do that I had to make sure that only 1 router was being used as the network router.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Does this coincide with a wireless Time Machine backup to the Time Capsule?

No. I have time machine disabled right now. It does seem to crash more so when i use the Internet on one of my other devices. But i have never had this problem until recently and i've had the apple tv since the day it came out. This happens on two different Apple TVs so I know it is not the individual unit.

I, like others, hope the new Apple TV fixes these streaming problems. I have several on order.

Sickwickednasty

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
I have a similar problem, except I don't even stream video - just audio using airtunes (airplay now). I have a first-gen time-capsule, just replaced by Apple in an effort to solve this issue (didn't work), two apple-tv's, and two airport expresses.

I can generally stream audio to one device without trouble, but as soon as I add a second the music starts to chop and eventually the entire network gets bogged down and stops working.

The problem gets significantly worse if anyone in the house goes onto the internet wirelessely - even just simple browsing. This is only a recent issue (last 5 or 6 months), before that it consistently worked without a hitch.)

Any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.