Apple TV Connection Question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Loke2112, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Loke2112 macrumors regular

Loke2112

Hello!

I have been trying to solve this puzzle for some time and am hoping someone here can help. I want my Apple TV allow me to use AirPlay to stream music to it WITHOUT having to turn on my Plasma TV. I have HDMI going to the TV. I have Optical (Toselink SP?) going to my Yamaha receiver (No HDMI ins). When I set the receiver to the input I connected the optical nothing... As a note I am also running optical out of the TV to a different input for viewing TV and listening with the receiver. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Much appreciated!

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It should work for you just fine - this is how I have mine wired. In one of the ATV menus there are some audio options - one relating to whether the output is selected automatically or not. Take a look there maybe?

3. chevybob20 macrumors newbie

That setup should work. I have my Yamaha 2095 setup the exact same way. I use the optical input for the CD player.
    Make sure you're using an optical input that isn't being used on another type of connection (i.e. component, composite etc.).

4. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

Thanks Gents I checked the audio output and tried 16 bit didn't help. Im using MID/Tape input for the optical in from the ATV and Im sure Im not using component I like the idea of streaming from Pad or Phone and using Siri to command whats next...Ill keep trying, guess I need to test that optical out be sure its working.

5. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

Came back to admit Im an idiot. I was connecting to an output optical as my Yamaha has one for CDR and Mid/Tape (As if anyone uses that stuff anymore lol) Using the DVD optical with my iMac hard wired via DAC to RCA to the CD input. I tried connection both to the CD input for the heck of it and digital overrides the analog. Geez I feel stupid! Have a good day thx for reading.

6. chevybob20 macrumors newbie

If your setup is anything like mine, it's very hard to see behind the component stack making connection errors very easy to do.

7. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

No you are not. That would be me;)