Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melvynadam

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
My problems began when I tried the iOS 12 beta on my ATV3.
I couldn’t update from the beta (I think it was beta 4) until the final version came out a few days ago.

Since installing the final version of iOS 12 my ATV connects to my WiFi and also through Ethernet but will not get out to the internet. I can use screen mirroring and control it from my iPhone’s remote app but the App Store won’t open and Infuse cannot download metadata (both of which need an internet connection).

I’ve tried manual and automatic settings and also tried using Google’s DNS (8.8.8.8) but to no avail.

Tonight I tried to reset the box but now I’m getting “Your Apple TV couldn’t be set up” because it can’t activate, because it can’t connect to the net. On my iPhone, the setup wizard reports 301003.

Any tips?

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
You have done everything on the ATV I would have done myself. Since the LAN is working and the ATV have been reset, the only piece missing should be the router. First try to reboot the router and if still doesn't work you'll have to check if you have enabled some particular settings on it. For example if you assign in the router a static hostname/IP address for any device that could cause a conflict with other devices (hosts). Also I'd check the firewall and if you are filtering by MAC address (IP interface number).

Oh, one last thing you may also try is to assign to the ATV a static IP address in the tvOS settings. Pick a big, "uncommon" number for the last number (like 173). Since usually the subnet is 192.168.1.x (but check the first 3 numbers in a device at home connecting to the Internet), that would mean you can use as a static IP address 192.168.1.173. Try a couple of times to change 173 to something else if still doesn't work.

If it works, something is misconfigured for sure in the router (DHCP section probably).

melvynadam

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Thanks for the advice.
Sadly I’ve still got nowhere. At some points it’s definitely made a connection to the net - because it downloaded some metadata for example - but it’s now firmly offline. It’s connecting through the router for local content and other devices can find it (my iPhone running iOS 12, for example, can find it and control it from the control center’s remote app) but it refuses to go online. It’s really puzzling me as well as preventing me from accessing my smart lock remotely - it’s my Home hub too :(
Tonight I tried connecting it to my iPhone’s personal hotspot, with my iPhone not connected to my router. In other words, to piggyback onto it’s 3G connection. Still no internet. Just a steadfast refusal to acknowledge the web.
This is driving me nuts! Having ruled out the router and the cabling all that’s left is a full reset but that didn’t resolve it the last time I tried. Is there a more thorough reset available than the Settings>System>Reset>Reset?

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I honestly have no idea. Nothing else comes to my mind. And the HW should be working since it gets the IP address. Maybe try to take it to an Apple Store, they may help you.

And please, keep us updated! Now I am very curious about how it can be fixed.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
What does your network status look like?
Are the addresses you see there in the same range as rest of your network?
CB88105A-22EC-4BF7-A4A2-E0CF622FE19B.jpeg

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Usually a reboot of router helps... unplugging ATV and re-plugging works for me sometimes..

But for me, i don't even get network access.. Its not Apple TV problem, Its router issue, Apple TV 4 gets private IP when starting up, despite its set to "Automatic"

For me, this is happens only with this router, its defiantly an issue with the model not always obtaining DHCP. Switching Apple TV to static, then back, does nothing. Sometimes, just rebooting AppleTV fixes it... as well..

I know its router specific, because using no other model never has this issue... Unfortunately, all Netcomm wants is a "packet route" to troubleshoot..

How the hell can you do that with a private IP as nothing flowing. ?

I'd usually try a software update for modem if possible/available, or use different modem for testing like i did..

It could be modem, if its always been an issue.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
You will need 4 things to make it work:
1) unique IP address in your subnet (not the self-assigned one). can be automatic, can be manual, Doesn't matter as long as it is unique in your local network.
2) subnet mask shall match across your network
3) DNS service
4) default gateway (Router in tvOS display) address that is used to send all packets addressed to non-local IP addresses, to

Automatic IP configuration from a DHCP server should assign all these 4 parameters. Behind one domestic router / DHCP server, items 2, 3 and 4 are identical on all it's devices.

I am not 100% sure if it is mandatory, but logging in to your iTunes/iCloud accounts is highly recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.