Apple TV continually drops wifi signal

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BadgerRivFan, Oct 30, 2014.

1. BadgerRivFan macrumors newbie

Admittedly I am not really a tech person, but I will do my best to explain a problem I am having with my Apple TV 3. This issue began right after the most recent software "upgrade." I am consistently losing connection with my wifi resulting in the error message "An error occurred loading this content. Try again later." This happens in every application I have tried, internet radio, Netflix, Flickr, etc. I have restarted the ATV several times, did a factory restore (connected to iTunes via a micro usb cable to my PC), and even contacted my ISP for help trouble shooting my DSL modem and wifi router. I can connect my PC to the wifi just fine, but my iPhone 6 and Apple TV 3 consistently disconnect intermittently. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to try next? Is this problems with recent Apple software updates? I miss listening to my iTunes library via Apple TV. Any help would be appreciated...

2. XmeX macrumors regular

Apple TV continually drops wifi signal

I think this issue due to the buggy IOS 8 because am having this when I connect my 5s to ATV ...
    For me, am just waiting for Apple to fix this software issues..
    By the way, do you have resolution issue when you mirror FaceTime?

3. DanielGMac macrumors newbie

DanielGMac

There is a series of serial numbers of Apple TVs that have buggy WiFi cards. If you call the genius bar they'll be able to tell you if yours is within that range. Can't hurt to call them.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Is there any chance you can connect it via Ethernet and bypass the wifi if you can't get it resolved?

5. BadgerRivFan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all who responded. My ATV and router sit right next to each other in a cabinet, so I picked up a short Ethernet cable at lunch today, plugged it in and now my problem is solved.

As DanielGMac indicated, I found this link in another thread which identifies the 3rd Gen units that have the wi-fi defect... http://www.macworld.com/article/203...ird-gen-apple-tv-units-with-wi-fi-issues.html

XmeX - i've never tried mirroring facetime so I can't provide any feedback.

Thanks to SandboxGeneral for suggesting what turned out to be a simple fix...

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Glad you resolved it by another means. I always use Ethernet when I can which is always more stable and faster than using WiFi.

7. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

I had the same issues with WiFi disconnecting so early this year I connected a Ethernet cable but now the Ethernet went bad too won't connect or even show a LED that it is connected anymore so now I just disconnected the ATV3. :mad::apple:

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sounds like th ATV just went bad all around. :(

9. XmeX macrumors regular

All Apple products went bad all around this year

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There is a little truth to that sadly.

11. jetlife2 macrumors regular

jetlife2

Thanks

...for correct use of the word "continually".

:)

Glad you solved your issue too. BTW I have sometimes found that static IP and DNS settings can add stability to a wifi client. Yours sounds more challenging though.

12. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I've been having the exact same issue with my ATV since he 8.0 update. When watching NHL games, it goes to "an error occurred loading content." I have an older ATV (720p model) and it still works perfectly (didn't get 8.0 update).

I'm hoping the 8.1.1 update released today fixes the issue. Has anyone tried it yet?

13. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I updated my ATV last night and I was able to watch the entire Lightning/Rangers game without the dreaded "An error occurred loading this content" message (it used to happen every 5-10 min as this thread notes). It appears that the WiFi issue has been fixed!

What about everyone else?

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Mine is connected via Ethernet and I haven't been having any issues at all.