Apple TV continually shutting down - any suggestions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SnowLeopard OSX, May 2, 2014.

1. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Hey guys,

I've recently been having some connectivity issues with my Apple TV. The problem is that whenever I port movies or YouTube videos (from both iTunes on my laptop and directly from my iPad respectively), my Apple TV connection will decidedly shut off within a matter of minutes. I've tried basic troubleshooting but still haven't had any luck.

Has anyone experienced this? And does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks, guys!

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

My third gen has no problems whatsoever. What generation is it and is it on the latest software?

3. SnowLeopard OSX thread starter macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

It's a 3rd gen, and running on the latest software. iPad is 4th gen running on 7.1.1

4. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

There was a range of 3rd gen ATVs that had connectivity issues, see the article here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/203...ird-gen-apple-tv-units-with-wi-fi-issues.html

Apple was offering a free replacement.

Otherwise, it could be some kind of combination of the network stack on the ATV + your router (if running via wifi) + specific configuration (like security protocols).

Have you tried testing the ATV with a wired connection?

5. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

As per D.T. - I get issues from time to time due to router problems. Try connecting it to the router with an Ethernet cable and your computer also. Question can you connect the ATV directly to the computer with an Ethernet cable ?