Apple TV couple of questions - help please

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by psburley, Nov 28, 2009.

1. psburley macrumors member

1. I have heard ATV is quite an energy user on standby (warm as well) is there any problem with switching the power off most of the time? I accept it wont sync but to be honest I only change what I have on itues once a week so it does not need to be on 24/7.

2. I am looking to install ATVFlash so need a usb hub and wiresless keyboard, anyone recommend something that works? dont want to pay the £50 for apple unit.

3. I have a Freecom 400gb ext hard drive, (currently NTFS) will it work with ATV? do I need to format and what directory do I put ripped DVD;s in to use with ATVflash?

3. Finally I posted this elsewhere but anyone recorded from ATV to a HDD recorder like the panasonic EX79 so that you can edit? what connections and whats quality like?

Thanks guys

2. GilesM macrumors 6502

I have only had my Apple TV for a week, but I can answer point 1.
    During my initial setting up of the device I had to call Apple, I needed to turn the device off, and I asked Apple if turning the Apple TV off is a problem, they said "no, as long as you ensure that you have put the unit in 'stand by' mode first".
    I guess this ensures that no files are playing, nothing is streaming, basically make sure the unit is idle first.

Not sure about points 2 or 3 or even the second number 3.:)

3. glennsan macrumors regular

Apple TV couple of questions

Here is a link to the ATV Flash website. It has a good video review of the product and most likely can answer your question about where to put the files on your external dvd and maybe some others as well:

http://www.atvflash.com/product_info.php?products_id=27

I believe the HD will work but I am not certain if formatting it is required. All of my externals are Mac formatted as a rule. No NTFS requirement for me.

Glennsan

4. BigAudio macrumors member

As far as the hard drive, I would assume, like OSX, it should be able to read NTFS, but not write to it.

The panasonic recording thing, I just know apple only has compnent video, and HDMI out, so if that panasonic has a component in, I dont see why you couldn't.. (then again, also dont see why you would.. LOL)

5. psburley thread starter macrumors member

reason i want to record from atv to pany hdd is that pany is so easy to edit..i record music video and can create playlists on pany