Apple TV Dead

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Levi's, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Levi's macrumors newbie

Levi's

Yesterday, 2 new updates popped up on my TV screen, and I allowed apple TV to update, after it updated, it reset itself, I'm using my laptop while this is going on, Apple TV never powers back up WTH!! I try everything to allow it to reposer back up, including disconnecting the power cord, still nothing. It's less than a year old, so I try to read the serial number off of the box to contact apple, every time I key it in, it says incorrect ser#, and prompts to retry, can't find the box it came in, to get serial number off of it, any suggestions other than go waste another $100 Dollars.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You should be able to fix it with a USB to micro USB cable and iTunes. There's a way to get it into recovery mode.

3. cynics macrumors G3

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1656530

Check out that thread. In that thread is a link to another.

I'd try restoring via iTunes before returning it though. You'll need a micro USB.

IF you have an iPhone attempt using the remote app to turn it on. If it comes on and is really really slow then goto setting and restore. Don't waste time "restarting" it. I read a few chapters in a book waiting for one to restart so it's not worth the time.

4. Levi's thread starter macrumors newbie

Levi's

Thanks for your help, finally I got my eyes focused with Jewelers glasses, read the serial number correctly, contacted Apple, and they did something on their end, and again tried to system restore apple TV, However in the end, they got the lights to come on, but I get a picture of my apple TV box with USB cord asking to plug it into iTunes. The apple technician, said this was only the second time he's seen this happen, and the update comes straight from iTunes, and is controlled by them, so no chance of virus, at 11 months old, they are sending me a new one by mail, within 5 business days, or said I could take it to an apple store with a case number and get a new one on the spot, since it shut down in their update. Awesome, so problem resolved….. Sad I've only used it like 6 times, it updated, and turned into a brick. Guess thats how life goes, at least it doesn't cost me more money….. Very happy with results.