Apple TV dev kit

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Pagemakers, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Will the dev version of Apple TV work like the released version or will it remain restricted?

2. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

They haven't said anything either way on the subject, but we assume it will get the full experience. No reason not to really.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

In the tvOS dev forums an Apple person replied to say it will be updated to match the retail version. They did not specify when it would be update though to get the App Store and other stock apps.

4. hollersoft macrumors member

They have actually said on the developer forums that there will be an update to bring the dev kit devices up to parity with the release version. No word on when though. All us developers were assuming it would be before the public launch, but they're cutting it close :) so that assumption on the time frame may be incorrect. But yes it will become equivalent to the release version eventually via a software update, we have been told.

5. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

6. grouch macrumors member

grouch

i've been wondering about the time frame too - my best guess is an o/s upgrade will be available friday afternoon, so probably about 20-30 hours from the time i post this.

7. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I must have missed that thread, although admittedly I've not been on much lately. Still, good to know for certain.

8. grouch macrumors member

grouch

looks like if you have a dev kit you can search for apps but not download them. getting close!

9. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

They released a final GM last night which brings the dev version up to the launch version. I was installing some apps last night (12am CET) to have a quick play.

10. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Same here. Quite disappointing really. Don't think I'll be replacing my Amazon Fire TV just yet.