Apple TV difference

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by harleymhs, Oct 6, 2013.

1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have an older Apple TV and my in laws want to get one is there a difference between an older model ( 3 years old) compared to the new ones apple sells now?? Thanks!!

2. Jayrcee macrumors regular

Jayrcee

3. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

THANKS! How can I tell if I have 2nd or 3rd Gen? Also both have HDMI hook up, so if I have the 2nd Gen, I wont be able to watch in 1080 from itunes ( movies etc ) .. thanks for your help!

4. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Yes the ATV 2 will not do 1080p
    But its worth $200+ on ebay once jailbroke ;)
    Read the small print on the bottom of the unit to get the model number

5. FurioATV macrumors newbie

6. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

if you jailbreak an ATV2 , can you UN jailbreak it if you want to later on? Restore back to original ?? Thanks guys! Can you jailbreak if the ATV2 is at version 6.0 currently?

7. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

Yes.
    When you jailbreak, you will disable updates so that a new firm/software release by Apple won't be downloaded, which would cause you to lose the jailbreak. So, if you want to "unjailbreak" later, just update your Apple TV to the latest firmware (Settings --> General --> "check for updates" on the Apple TV). This will update you to the latest firmware without the jailbreak.

Yes. You can always restore to factory settings, through the Apple TV settings menu.

Yes. Apple TV software 5.3 (iOS version 6.0.1, I think) is available as a tethered jailbreak.
    http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605-Jailbreaking-101-Seas0nPass

8. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried to jailbreak and all went well, but after it was done, I plugged it back to TV got the Apple logo and no boot? Just a flashing light! Can you jailbreak it if you are at 6.0 on the software? Cant figure out why it didnt take! Do you have to do a tethered boot when you are done? All the youtube videos didnt show that step! Any help would be appreciated!

9. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

Yep. As the link I posted above states, the latest jailbreak for the latest iOS software is "TETHERED". So you have to connect the Apple TV to your computer/iTunes when you reboot it for it to work.

10. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

GOT it! All good now! Have it jailbroken! THANK YOU! I guess I have to tether it again if its un plugged or power failure? If so just do the tether step again from the same computer or do I have to JailBrake all over again?

11. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

Correct: if the device is ever powered down or rebooted, you need to connect it to the same computer running iTunes to complete the reboot. You do not have to jailbreak all over again.

12. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought that was the deal... BUT now I went into the menu and I see the FC Red icon in settings so I know it worked bit I dont see the XBMC icon !!! What did I do wrong? I do see the RED FC setting icon.. thanks!

13. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

Nothing. Jailbreaking doesn't automatically install XBMC. It just jailbreaks the ATV so that you can install other applications, including XBMC, if you want to.

To install XBMC on a jailbroken Apple TV, follow these instructions:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_on_Apple_TV_2#ATV_5.x

(don't let the command line worry you. Once you connect to your apple TV from a terminal on your computer, you pretty much just need to copy-paste in the commands from the above link.)

If you want a completely GUI method (ie: without having to use the command line), try steps 4 and 5 of this:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1305573

(that writeup also tells you how to install XBMC add-ons that will let you watch Hulu Free on the apple tv, without commercials.)

14. harleymhs, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

I downloaded a installer ( Nito ) and it added XBMC to the apple TV menu.. Doesnt look like all the other ones on you tube ( red theater seating skin ) I do have some video plug ins , but NO I cant seem to add ( HULU, Project Free TV, 1 Channel and ice films ) Whats the next step to get those? Did I do it right to use that Nitro installer program to get the XBMC ? I tried to do it with terminal and all was OK until apple tv rebooted and just had a flashing light! Thanks for ALL your help!

15. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it all installed... ( addons ) ... Can someone tell me how to add the weather to the home screen on XBMC ? Can you download more skins? Thanks!!!