Apple TV + DirecTV Now + Cruise

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by vigilant, Aug 27, 2017.

1. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

We are heading out on Liberty of the Seas a week from now. We want to be able to watch TV and movies from the ship through DirecTV Now.

I know Royal Caribbean requires a page login in order to get on their wifi. Does anyone see an issue with us bringing a travel router to get an Apple TV playing movies and TV from the ship?

2. radio893fm macrumors regular

Yes. That will work fine... but try to enjoy the cruise and DVR all those shows.

3. waw74 macrumors 68040

also don't get your hopes up, it may work, but not well as i'm sure bandwidth is pretty limited.

4. vigilant thread starter macrumors 6502

vigilant

Yeah, I get that. We have something called the "Surf + Stream" which is suppose to support video. But it's a ship, and I should probably spend time with my wife.

5. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

If you haven't already done so, I would research what internet plans are offered on the ship. I know when my wife and I went on a cruise last year, I paid for the basic Wi-Fi for a couple hours and I could barely stream Apple Music while we were in our cabin.

But definitely spend time outside of your cabin, not worrying about catching up on your shows. The only time my wife and I were in our cabin was to shower, change and sleep.

6. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

The cruises I've been on, the band width is so slow you would be wasting your time trying to stream. Also, the wifi access is for only one device at a time.

However, still better than Christopher Columbus's Spain-America cruise.