apple tv do you need a computer to stream

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by john16420, Sep 25, 2015.

1. john16420 macrumors newbie

My question is about apple tv. If you need a computer on at the same time to use or watch itunes movies on apple tv. I have a big collection of movies but never tried the apple tv yet. It would be awesome to get some insight on this. Curious if it's as easy as plug and play as long as there's a wifi connection or?

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Media purchased from the Apple Store, Netflix, Hulu, and other "cloud" sources can be streamed. However locally stored media must stream from a computer. The ATV has a USB port but it cannot be used to connect storage.

3. john16420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks that helps a lot. Was wondering why I'd need an apple tv if I still need to have the laptop on for most movies. I figured I could just not get the apple tv at all and still just use the vga cord from laptop to tv if the computer still needs to be on.

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

The video quality would be considerably better than VGA. If you cannot connect your computer using HDMI, the ATV would solve that issue. I agree, it is frustrating that the AppleTV is chained to iTunes/computers for local media. If you are intent on a media box that can accept USB storage for media playback, Roku may be a good option for you.

5. john16420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh right I forgot about video quality. It's just a hassle to still have computer/apple tv/tv all on at the same time. But it may be worth it.
    I was curious about roku aswell for 1 main reason. Flixster ultra violet movies. Since most movies come with that digital copy.
    Recently all the flixster apps on cellphones and tablets don't play my ultra violet movies anymore. Their apps have gone downhill.
    I was wondering if roku would play those movies flawlessly. Except itunes is very reliable when it comes to my itunes movie collection.

6. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

I have a Mac Mini with my movie collection hooked up on a 3tb External HDD. Keep it in my entertainment center, using my TV as it's "Monitor" and with an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Wireless Trackpad in my Coffee Table. When I want to do maint. on my collection or watch something streamed through browser, I can just switch the source on my Receiver. Otherwise, I like to use the ATV for everything else, because I find the remote & interface to be easier and more TV Like. Ultimately it cost more, but I think it's a pretty good system. The last time I touched a disk, or even opened my TV Cabinet, is when I finished ripping my DVD collection to MP4.

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

This is almost the exact same setup I have, Mini with a 3TB drive but I have a cheap third party wireless keyboard/trackpad combo. It's connected to an old 720p LCD monitor and I sometimes watch movies there, but most of the time I use one of my two AppleTVs or my MacBook Air with home sharing. Set this up about 18 months ago and have been really happy with it.

If money is tight, you could use an older computer as an iTunes server instead of the Mini. I found this article helpful: http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_set_itunes_home_server

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Adding appleTV to your TV set will transform it into a wireless monitor for your MacBook.
    PS and of course, you can add any movie to iTunes, not just iTunes purchases or rentals. As long as they are in correct format.