Apple TV does not see Iphoto Shared Library?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by GilesM, Dec 18, 2009.

1. GilesM macrumors 6502

My wife and I each have an iMac.
    We each have iPhoto.

We each have sharing active for 1 Event each in iPhoto.

For Some reason Apple TV is not accessing the shared photo's via an ethernet network.

What am I missing here?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

You specify what album you want to display on AppleTV in iTunes. It has nothing to do with iPhoto.

Go to your AppleTV in iTunes and go to the Photos tab and sync which albums you want.

3. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm,,, my wife's albums now stream direct from iphoto, go that to work now. The Apple TV is linked to my library not hers.
    So, is it that because Apple TV is linked to my itunes library I can't stream direct from iphoto?

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

AppleTV is linked to iTunes. In a way, it sees no other programs on your computer. So for all intents and purposes, NO you cannot stream from your wife's iPhoto...nor can you stream from your iPhoto. It's all done through iTunes. Whatever you specify in that AppleTV syncing section is what will show up. Movies, TV shows, podcasts and photos are all specified from those tabs in iTunes.

And it's been my experience that truly AppleTV doesn't allow streaming of photos anyway...unless I am doing something wrong. To get my photos to show up, they have to be synced to AppleTV and essentially copied to the AppleTV hard drive.

5. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, that is odd.

I linked my wife's imac library (ATV, 'computers'). Then I went to her iphoto.
    Allowed sharing, specified the event.
    Now Apple TV has a section called 'shared photo's' in the photo section.
    The photo's are streamed from her iphoto direct to the Apple TV.
    The photo's in question are not in her itunes,or mine they only exist in her iphoto.

My only issue is, I can't get this to work on my machine, the itunes of which is linked under 'computers' on ATV.
    For my machine, photo's need to be copied down as you suggested via iTunes.

Very odd....

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

Odd indeed. I am actually going to have to try that and see if I can access shared photos. :)

maybe the 'rules' come into play when you are hosting an iPhoto folder on the same computer where you have your iTunes syncing based. Maybe the iPhoto tab in iTunes takes precedence?

Try not syncing ANY photos from your computer and see if the shared library shows up.

7. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, that's just how I have just one event from iphoto sync'd to ATV.
    These have been copied down to ATV, but my wife's iphoto event is streaming.
    When I enabled sharing on my wife's machine, the menu on ATV changed.
    Photo's, music, movies, podcasts etc all got a new 'shared' section.

8. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, sorted it now.

On my wife's imac, I paired her library under 'computers' on ATV.
    Took the code and set up ATV in her iTunes.
    Then went to Itunes, Apple TV and under photo's notice that
    'sync photos' has been changed to 'share photo's'.
    I selected the event we wanted to see.

Now, after connecting to her library there is an option for 'shared photos'.
    Selecting this option now brings in the photo's - streamed - from her library.

I think that this is because the ATV can SYNC from just one library, but can SHARE from other library's.