Apple TV drops home sharing connection wired only

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DanielGMac, Oct 31, 2014.

1. DanielGMac macrumors newbie

DanielGMac

Weird. For a month or so I used my ATV for iTunes stuff. I changed it to wired when I found out some ATVs had flaky WiFi cards.

Well, whenever the ATV goes to sleep, it won't pick up the home sharing network when it wakes up. Once it sees the network sharing, I can watch everything for as long as I want to watch. No buffering, no hesitation, no "An error has occurred" messages. Works great via WiFi now that I've got it changed out from the genius bar.

I've
    changed out the network cable from the ATV to the switch
    changed out the switch
    changed out the ATV (I've got two)
    changed out the network cable from the switch to the Airport Extreme.

Each time I made a change I waited a week to see what happened.

Goes to sleep, can't see the network sharing when it wakes up. Only on wired network.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    DanH

2. DanielGMac thread starter macrumors newbie

DanielGMac

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I see. Have you also the "Share my library on my local network" turned on in iTunes preferences? If so, you might try to turn it off. HomeSharing works without it.
    Also I believe your problem has been discussed in these threads:
    ATV3, Yosemite and home sharing.
    Apple TV and iTunes 12

PS I also have my aTV displaying in AirPlay selections, but can you really connect (i.e. wake the aTV from sleep)?? The entries are there due to Bonjour Sleep Proxies doing their work, but since iOS 8 on my aTV I am unable to wake it up by just starting playback on my computer or iPhone.

4. DanielGMac thread starter macrumors newbie

DanielGMac

I do appreciate you trying. I've changed share names, on/off who can see it, turned of and back on iTunes, etc.

I think it's a new bug in the updated ATV software when connected to Yosemite with a setup like I have. Hopefully they'll fix it next time around.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Strangely enough, Yosemite and iTunes 12 did not change anything for me. The sole problem I got was from aTV update to iOS 8 version, which caused it to disappear from AirPlay lists when asleep. Even the latest 8.1 update did not fix the problem.
    With HomeSharing I have not had any problems.
    I do, however, notice that now it takes aTV longer to connect to network. Before it has got connection, it might show that it can not connect to iTunes Store or that I need to turn on Home Sharing to see my Computers.

6. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I think my problem starts whenever the system that has the content is restarted. On the aTV I get the spiky ball for a long time, and then either get the authorization BS error, or get a connection error.

It just happened last night, and I quickly (hah) restarted the aTV and everything worked.

It seems to be, from that, that the aTV can't reconnect to a restarted media source computer. I think I have either a gen1 or 2, but it has the latest updates. A 'genius' suggested doing a restore on the aTV unit. Others say it's a waste of time. As if having to restart the aTV everytime the source computer is rebooted isn't... But doing random crap because it's on a script somewhere sucks too. Especially when you know that's what's happening.

7. 9512tacoma macrumors member

I have atv3 wired but I don't have any issues with home sharing from my MacBook Pro wireless but itunes 12 on my win 7 PC wired it can not connect. It sees the library but it will not display the music or movies. My iPhone 5s can not connect via homesharing either, the little blue circle gets about halfway and then times out I have restarted airport express, logged in an out of homesharing but no luck. Any ideas?

8. 9512tacoma macrumors member

On the remote app on 8.1 I can't see the Apple TV either

9. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

I think the problems with home sharing begin with the latest apple tv update not yosemite update for Mac...

Each time i open my Apple TV (for at least a month) the only way to make home sharing to work is to restart Apple tv.... and its a pity cause i own the latest Airport extreme which is connected with ac protocol with my mac.

Despite getting it to work (after the apple tv restart) i get a small buffer delay before the movie/tv show starts playing.... i get the same delay even when i choose airplay from my mac...

Nevermind :mad:

All the problems above are with Ethernet connection between airport extreme and apple tv...

I will try to rename my computer's name from sharing options of yosemite as people suggest.... lets see if that will fix the problem... anything else to try?

Also i am using firewall on but i allow itunes connection....

Its a huge issue... apple should look into this. Its unacceptable to have such issues even with airport extreme ac. :mad:

10. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Possible Solution:

1) TURN OFF the iTunes >> Preferences >> Sharing >> "Share my Library on my network" on all my computers
    2) TURN ON Home Sharing through File >> Home Sharing >> "Turn on Home sharing" on all my computers

11. 9512tacoma macrumors member

The latest update to my apple tv3 still did not fix homesharing with iTunes on win7 PC. Same error message