Apple TV eSata upgrade

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BwanaZulia, May 4, 2009.

1. BwanaZulia macrumors regular

2. giffut macrumors 6502

This ...

... is based on a hack developed more than a year ago: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5999

There are several possibilites here, the most sofisticated would be to replace the mini-pciexpress based wireless card with an pci-express extender and attach a SATA card there. Choosing the right card would give you two to four sata(esata ports and possibly port mupliplier away (think a 5bay enmclosure on one port, filled with 5 separate harddrives).

If you have no hand to tinker, it might be a solution, albeit quite expensive. In the realm of US$ 79,- it would be fair enough.

3. dynaflash macrumors 68020

In all fairness, the idea afaik originally came right from these forums and was started by Cave Man http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=438073. In the end it became a 2 part affair and now that it is known how to do it. I have done another one. Both atv's have 1TB WD mybooks running on them and I could not be happier.

The parts are down to about < $30 u.s. and so, for a couple bucks more than what they want without a hard drive, you can do it *including* a 1 TB drive yourself since you can get the triple interface wd mybook for about $140 easily.

4. giffut macrumors 6502

Uuups, ...

... I didn´t know that - good to hear. Yet we have the same thing to tell, that´s the main message and in spirit of this forum, I guess: It´s ridiculously expensive - do it yourself!

5. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Yep, we are on the same page. One other note, I would be a touch concerned about having someone I do not know hacking on my equipment and taking my money that spells "Upgrade" .... "Uprade" on their website. Gives one the feeling that their attention to detail might not be the best. But who knows?

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

$149, you have to supply your own hard drive, AND they don't return the one that's already in the Apple TV?

What a rip off!