Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Ok so hoping someone out there can help. For the last year I’ve been using my Apple TV Siri Remote to control the volume on my av receiver and it never had issues. Then about a month ago or maybe 2, the Apple TV remote will revert to controlling the tv volume instead. If I switch the tv input to a different input and then back to the correct input it will fix it, but it won’t last. Usually by the next day it happens again. It’s confusing and annoying. I have made sure Apple TV has the latest updates, and I have done the remote reboot technique, but it hasn’t changed the situation.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? It is driving me crazy.

Thanks,
DJ

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
You didn’t mention changing the audio output settings on the ATV. Should be able to force it to ‘receiver’ only.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Your TV wouldn’t happen to be an LG Smart TV, would it?
No it’s a hi-sense. The setting on the Apple TV remote says yes or no to control the receiver which, of course I have it set to yes and so that’s not the issue. Also, this is all working fine for a good year and then probably some software update changed something

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Are you perhaps trying to use BOTH TV speakers and Receiver speakers? TV speakers should be OFF here, entirely leaning on Receiver speakers. Some people try to use both together. Or some TVs offer an option to use TV speakers as "center" channel in a Receiver surround sound setup. If either are you, go into the settings in that Hi-Sense and set audio speakers to "receiver" or "external" or whatever it offers to tell it to only use Receiver speakers. Then give it a while and see if the problem comes back again.

How are you wired?
  • AppleTV to Receiver to TV or
  • AppleTV to TV to Receiver?
If not the first option, you might try a simple test with that setup and see if that might resolve your problem. There MIGHT be a timing issue in play such that when you turn on everything to watch something the TV and Receiver have not yet acknowledged each other when a sound is to be made. If so, perhaps TV only has its own speakers seeming to be available and thus they "take over" even when the Receiver is fully online/connected. This could be triggered as simply as having UI sounds on and thus a tone is to be played when turning everything on but Receiver has not quite connected with the rest... even more likely if your connection chain is the second type.

That shared, there have been bugs introduced in recent tvOS updates (note post #3 asking about LG). Have you tried rebooting your remote?

I opt to NOT use the AppleTV remote but instead use a universal learning remote and it does not have that problem: receiver speakers are always controlled when watching AppleTV stuff. My connection is AppleTV to Receiver to TV. I have some suspicions about your remote if you are not trying to simultaneously use TV speakers too. A reboot sometimes solves the problem for other bugs that involve the remote.

Last edited:

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Are you perhaps trying to use BOTH TV speakers and Receiver speakers? TV speakers should be OFF here, entirely leaning on Receiver speakers. Some people try to use both together. Or some TVs offer an option to use TV speakers as "center" channel in a Receiver surround sound setup. If either are you, go into the settings in that Hi-Sense and set audio speakers to "receiver" or "external" or whatever it offers to tell it to only use Receiver speakers. Then give it a while and see if the problem comes back again.

How are you wired?
  • AppleTV to Receiver to TV or
  • AppleTV to TV to Receiver?
If not the first option, you might try a simple test with that setup and see if that might resolve your problem. There MIGHT be a timing issue in play such that when you turn on everything to watch something the TV and Receiver have not yet acknowledged each other when a sound is to be made. If so, perhaps TV only has its own speakers seeming to be available and thus they "take over" even when the Receiver is fully online/connected. This could be triggered as simply as having UI sounds on and thus a tone is to be played when turning everything on but Receiver has not quite connected with the rest... even more likely if your connection chain is the second type.

That shared, there have been bugs introduced in recent tvOS updates (note post #3 asking about LG). Have you tried rebooting your remote?

I opt to NOT use the AppleTV remote but instead use a universal learning remote and it does not have that problem: receiver speakers are always controlled when watching AppleTV stuff. My connection is AppleTV to Receiver to TV. I have some suspicions about your remote if you are not trying to simultaneously use TV speakers too. A reboot sometimes solves the problem for other bugs that involve the remote.
Yes it is Apple TV > receiver> tv. I don’t intend to ever use the tv speakers and have them set to zero volume. The only time I increase the tv speaker volume is when this issue occurs and instead of turning up volume on receiver it starts increasing volume on tv speaker instead. It doesn’t seem to happen when I first turn stuff on, if anything that resolves it. It seems to happen after the Apple TV screensaver has been on for awhile. Yes I have rebooted remote 3 times in the last week with no improvement

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Sounds much more like tvOS bug. If so, it’s a waiting game, hoping Apple gets around to fixing whatever they broke.

However, that said, the TV volume to zero thing makes me wonder if you have gone into TV audio settings to assign speakers to receiver or external or whatever option you TV offers that basically says "don't use TV speakers, use external"? In other words, it’s not about just turning TV speakers down to zero but actually telling the TV to use speakers other than its own.

And if so, you might want to check settings again. Perhaps the TV had a software update and turned its own speakers back on again? That’s easy enough to re-check.

Another option is mine: park the AppleTV remote and use another to control your stuff. AppleTV can “learn” any remote. I have the same AppleTV-through-Receiver-to-TV setup and latest tvOS with no such problem. Key difference: I’m NOT using the AppleTV remote. Maybe switch to a different remote until Apple gets around to a fix... then check with each update to see if they did?

Last edited:

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
…the TV volume to zero thing makes me wonder if you have gone into TV audio settings to assign speakers to receiver or external or whatever option you TV offers that basically says "don't use TV speakers, use external"? In other words, it’s not about just

And if so, you might want to check settings again. Perhaps the TV had a software update and turned its own speakers back on again? That’s easy enough to re-check.
This is a good idea. I never disabled the tv speaker line this I just let it work per my description, and it did. Anyway, I just disabled the TV speaker so we’ll see how it goes. Hopefully this is the fix.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if you still have issues, my usual first steps for HDMI-CEC issues are to unplug and replug both ends of the HDMI cables, Full power cycle (unplug from wall) all devices, then try a new cable.

I've had a HDMI cable go bad, video and audio worked just fine, but CEC was intermittent. CEC travels on its own pin on the HDMI cable.
depending on how well the cable is built, and the amount of bend you've had to put on the cable where it goes into the devices, it's possible the CEC wire is loosing connection a bit, then reconnecting, and it's seeing that re-connect as a new device.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
There is a known issue with CEC and tvOS 17.4. No one knows when Apple will fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.