Apple TV for showing avi files

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chriscordell, Jan 28, 2011.

1. chriscordell macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I do alot of Uni work on my macbook (4,1 so it has a VGA port and no HDMI) and i'm trying to avoid having wires everywhere so I was considering picking up the new Apple TV. I want to know if the Apple TV would show the videos saved to my macbook (i've got some TV shows and bits and pieces not bought through iTunes) on my TV?

If that wont work any other ideas to get the videos over to my TV wirelessly?

Cheers guys!

2. gks macrumors 6502

pretty sure the AppleTV will only show h264 encoded videos. If that's the case you'll have to convert those avi files using something like Handbrake or similar.

Should also note that you would need a wireless network and due to network congestion may not stream properly. I know at my university there are so many laptops that viewing even webpages at certain times of the day is painful.

3. psxguru macrumors 6502a

4. chriscordell thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers guys, I live in my own flat (i'm a 3rd year at Manchester so we're not campus based) so i've got my own wireless network. The jailbreak idea sounds like plan though. Any other ideas out there, it's just if i'm gonna spend £100 of my loan I need to know it's definitely going to work :)

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I have a ton of avi's on my Mac, and I've been converting them either using Handbrake (I just use the Apple TV 2 preset) or iSquint (http://isquint.en.softonic.com/mac)

I've watched at least 15 movies shows in the month I've had ATV 2 with no problems. Playback is seemless and the quality is pretty darn good (as good as it can be when going from an AVI to H.264). And the conversion, whichever program you use, is simple.

That alone is definitely worth the $100 price tag.