Apple TV future..

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JeffNewland, Jun 27, 2012.

1. JeffNewland macrumors member

What do you see happening to Apple TV in the near future?

With iOS6 being released in the fall, will we see more apps being revealed or an app store all in one?

I think that it's been dragged on far too long. But none the less Apple is doing the same thing all along... Giving us what we need not what we want.

I have no complaints about their method but it's hard to be so patient! :D

In what direction is AppleTV headed?

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

This was all discussed about the AppleTV after WWDC.

Basically: No API's were released for app store use for the AppleTV. AppleTV will continue to have the same functionality relying on Airplay mirroring from Computer or iDevice to get content onto your tv. It will not have apps.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Looking at what google is releasing today (Nexus Q), I do believe we will see app real soon, as soon as they nail the TV set prototype.

Now, this app would be cloud base, and it will all be center on iCloud.

my personal guess.

4. mic j macrumors 68030

Thinking about the release of the Apple Podcast app. From my reading, it has a "Redeem" button and some think this could be the base for monetizing podcast subscriptions. Couldn't that also be the basis providing paid subscription to tv content. How about a "podcast" subscription to ESPN?

Just a rambling thought, but it seems bits and pieces are appearing, aTV 3, paid podcast subscription, ability to organize apps in iOS 6 for aTV.

5. JeffNewland thread starter macrumors member

I understand that. I'm just curious about possible drastic changes to the Apple TV software. I'm aware that it will most likely be changed piece by piece.

6. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

how far into the future can we jailbreak an apple tv 3???

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If I know anything "into" the future i would be swiming on cash right about now! ;)

8. aeronauticsrock macrumors member

I really hope they bring apps. It does seem like they are pushing airplay really hard but I just dont think its good enough. The reliability isnt there and sometimes you just want to use your TV without an iDevice in your hand.

I'm hoping they open it up to apps at the fall event.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

10. iDev4Mac macrumors newbie

iDev4Mac

I really want apps! Nothing else but apps! I don't own Apple TV, but if apps come, then I immediately order Apple TV. BTW, there is a little proof, as with iOS 6 beta (or whatever) on Apple TV allows to re-order "home screen".
    My personal guess is that not on Apple TV 3rd-gen but on the iTV.