Apple TV Game Controller

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mk313, Jan 1, 2018.

1. mk313 macrumors 6502a

For those that have Apple TV's (4th gen or 4K) and game controllers, do you have a recommendation on brands to use? I'm not a gamer, but my wife's sister comes over quite often and has started to play games on the Apple TV & the siri remote isn't cutting it. I see that the Steel Series Nimbus is heavily promoted by Apple, but not sure if that is the best controller to get.

Also, do you recommend getting 2 controllers, or is 1 enough normally?

thanks in advance,

2. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

I have the SS Nimbus.

It is the only controller I have tried with the ATV4, but it I highly recommend it. It feels like a very solid controller, and feels natural with my hands. My preteen daughters use it, and like it too. You charge it with a Lightning cable, and it has a "menu" button that functions like the menu button on the Siri remote.

If I had to pick some complaints about it, the first would be a lack of a home button, and the second would be that I ended up paying full price for it because I could never find it on sale.

I only have one of them, but that has more to do with a lack of decent two player games on the tvOS.

3. mk313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll go with the nimbus. It’s always nice I hear from someone else who has used it before.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I just got the Nimbus for Christmas. It works well, charges up really fast and I don't have too many issues with it. I use it for both my Apple TV and playing Pac Man on ipad where a controller is pretty much a must.

5. mk313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks!

6. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

I have the nimbus as well, & I like it!

7. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I have the one from the apple store, SS Nimbus its ok at best but i dont have a better offering to suggest.
    It doesn't work on/with all games,

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's the case with ANY controller. Some games just don't support one. Strangley for one of my pinball games they support a controller half way: only on the Apple TV, not on the ipad.

9. mk313, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018

mk313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up going with 2 of the nimbus'. The apple store had a deal where you got a controller, plus a Minecraft Apple TV code for $40, or the controller alone was $50. I ended up getting two of them, with the codes. So far, they seem to be working out ok, or at least I haven't heard any complaints. Thanks again for all the feedback.