Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
So, I recently got an Apple TV Gen 3 from a friend of mine which had no need of it because he updated to the latest model and I have a few questions.

1) I'm kind of disappointed from the quality of the mirroring mode. I have a 13'' tbMBP and when I mirrored the display to my 1080p TV, the quality was atrocious (I know it only mirrors 720p) but also the it felt really sluggish when moving the cursor around. Is there anything I can do to improve the quality/responsiveness ??

2) The only way to play 1080p movies from what I understand is via iTunes (home sharing). Is there another way ?? I don't like the fact that iTunes movies don't have subtitles.

3) Since this is my first Apple TV what are the "most important" things/applications that I need to have on it to enjoy it fully ?? Would I benefit from some kind of modification ?? I'm not all that interested in the pre-loaded apps such as Netflix etc.

Thanks in advance !!

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
1) I'm kind of disappointed from the quality of the mirroring mode.

Mirroring is a lot of work for your Macbook. Whatever needs to be rendered on screen is rendered, then captured, then compressed, then sent to the Apple TV. So, CPU and network on the Macbook get hit pretty hard. About all you can do is try to make sure nothing else is competing for resources.

2) The only way to play 1080p movies from what I understand is via iTunes (home sharing). Is there another way ?? I don't like the fact that iTunes movies don't have subtitles.

Plenty of iTunes movies have subtitles. In addition, any of your own movies that you add to iTunes can have subtitles and these will all play properly on the Apple TV.

The most efficient way to play movies on your ATV3 is Home Sharing with a copy of iTunes as a host/server.

3) Since this is my first Apple TV what are the "most important" things/applications that I need to have on it to enjoy it fully?

No ideas, sorry. My Apple TVs are all just players for iTunes movies and music.

A.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
3) Since this is my first Apple TV what are the "most important" things/applications that I need to have on it to enjoy it fully ?? Would I benefit from some kind of modification ?? I'm not all that interested in the pre-loaded apps such as Netflix etc.

@Alrescha has answered your first two questions. For this one, though, there is no App Store for the 3rd gen. What is on the device is all there is.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Thank you for your asnwers guys ! Appreciate it !

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
I have two(2) Refurbished ATV3's and use them to access mainly YouTube which has loads of old movies and other very interesting topics and I can watch Youtube/Downloaded Movies comfortably from my living room and bedroom TVs.

I mirror from my Mac Mini's 2012 and 2014 through these ATV3's to my TVs in both the living room and bedroom with no problem. I also mirror downloaded Amazon Movies from my iPad Mini2 to both of these same TVs.

Last edited:

CaptainDaG

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2007
DK
So, I recently got an Apple TV Gen 3 from a friend of mine which had no need of it because he updated to the latest model and I have a few questions.

1) I'm kind of disappointed from the quality of the mirroring mode. I have a 13'' tbMBP and when I mirrored the display to my 1080p TV, the quality was atrocious (I know it only mirrors 720p) but also the it felt really sluggish when moving the cursor around. Is there anything I can do to improve the quality/responsiveness ??

Thanks in advance !!
For playing stuff from your macbook to the apple tv 3 i can recommend the app Beamer. I used it a lot on my previous apple tv 3. Of all the apps and ways to get material shown on ATV i found Beamer to be the best and most stable one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.