Apple TV Hard Drive-PATA or SATA?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rdlink, Feb 22, 2009.

1. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

I apologize if I am re-asking an already answered question. But I've seen some posts that claim that the new ATVs are shipping with SATA drives. I want to buy a second ATV (and subsequently upgrade the drive) but I don't want to buy a PATA unit with that in mind for two reasons:

First, I would be limited to 250GB. If I were only going that far I would just by one from one of the resellers online. The upcharge is only about $70, and my time and aggravation is worth more than that. Also, I really want to go higher. At least 500GB.

Second, I suspect that if they're not doing it now, Apple will probably be shipping SATA in the ATV before too much longer (Maybe 3.0?). I'd be sick if I bought PATA, and then they started shipping SATA.

I already own a 160GB ATV, and would want to buy the 40 and upgrade it myself if possible. Can anyone confirm, by virtue of having laid their own eyes on it, that the drive on the new models is SATA?

2. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Sorry, PATA only.

I doubt they will move to SATA until the hardware changes.

3. celica73 macrumors member

320GB PATA are available now.

Scott

4. rdlink thread starter macrumors 68040

rdlink

Thanks. Still too small. I'd actually like to do something in the 1TB range. I'm assuming these things have 2.5" drives, so maybe 1TB will be available by the time new hardware comes out.